17 September 2010

Running Through

It has been a while between blog posts (again) and I have had a few in mind lately which I haven't had the opportunity (or the inclination, when the opportunity arose) to convert from ideas floating around various parts of my mind to text for potential consumption by the blog-reading public.

A few weeks ago, I went in a 10.5km fun run (that extra 0.5 is very important!). Hubby and I had walked it three years ago pushing little MissyMoo1 in a pram and I remembered it being very tiring, but fun in a get-out-in-the-sunshine kind of way. After that year, various baby-related reasons prevented me from giving it another go, so I was keen to participate again this year.

So keen, in fact, that I decided I would try to jog the first 2km to test how fit a weekly netball game and constant running after the MissyMoos had made me. Hubby kindly performed child-caring duties for the morning while I took myself along to the race. Standing at the start- line alone with my race number safety-pinned to my top and my car key safety-pinned to my pants, I began feeling a little lonely and under-prepared. People in groups were chatting. People alone or in pairs were stretching and warming up. I decided that a few stretches would probably be wise, so I did a couple which I vaguely remembered from high school PE classes and which I see my friend and netball team mate (incidentally, a high school PE teacher) doing before our weekly games.

I don't even remember hearing the starter gun. I just saw all the people in front of me move so, in a sheep-like fashion, I did the same.

I began a slow jog and before I knew it, 1km had already gone. The beautiful scenery was pleasantly distracting and hearing people puffing around me when I wasn't was satisfying and motivated me to get through to the 2km marker. At that point I felt like I could keep jogging so I though I would try to keep it up for another km and see how I went. I did this at each km marker until I got to 7km of straight jogging. At that point I thought "well, I've come this far, I'm not going to walk now. I'll jog the whole thing." in the last km, feeling like I still had some petrol in the tank, I picked up the pace. I jogged along, beaming, exhilarated, spurred on by how far I had already gone and how little ground there was left to cover. I almost did not want it to end - I was enjoying the solitude so much, "me" time.

I crossed the line feeling an immense sense of achievement. It was more than just exceeding my own expectations: it was a rite of passage. I had cone through to the other end of my body's rollercoaster journey of the past few years - pregnancy, breastfeeding, trying to get pregnant, miscarriage, pregnancy, breastfeeding - and now I was physically and mentally fitter than I remember being before. I take pride in what I did that day and in what it symbolises to me: having my body back, feeling like more than "just" a mum, surpassing what I set out to achieve.

And if you're into stats, I did the 10.5kms in 1 hour, 10 minutes and 3 seconds. I came 850th overall out of 1463 who ran the 10.5kms on the day.

2 comments:

  1. Well done, that is a fantastic achievement. It sounds like just what you needed to do at that time too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow congrats i bet you feel an awesome sense of achievement.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...