07 November 2011

Nativity scene project: part 1

When I was a kid we used to visit my nonni interstate most Christmases, staying for two or three weeks at a time.

My Nonna once made a big nativity scene which she put on display every year. It was made from plaster of Paris laid out over a wire frame and painted. It had caves and mountains, the star and heaps of figurines: the Holy Family, three wise men, the donkey, a cow, some sheep and shepherds. It would sit on a table in the living room and my sister and I used to enjoy looking at it and moving the figurines around. I wish I had a photo of it to show you.

I've been thinking for the past couple of years about making my own nativity scene. We have a tiny one which we got from Target a couple of years ago but I really like the idea of making our own.

So this year we're going to do it! (Well, that's the plan anyway!)

Having never worked with plaster of Paris before, I gave my daydreams a reality check and decided to construct it from materials much more suited to my level of craft expertise: paddle pop sticks! I figure there's plenty of time to learn about plaster of Paris another year if I want to copy my Nonna's idea. But it's already November and I have a newborn baby so I need to be a bit more realistic. I also fully intend to enlist the help of my craft-crazy MissyMoo1 (4)!

I've had a bit of trouble finding the figurines I want. I have looked on eBay and Amazon but the few I have found which I am interested in don't ship to Australia. I might see if any of my relatives in Italy can track some down for me next year, but due to time constraints, this year we'll be swiping the figurines from the Target nativity scene as well as sheep from the MissyMoos' farm toy set. The sheep will have to fend for themselves though, as we don't have any shepherds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...