17 May 2012

Back to work...

As I mentioned in today's Thankful Thursday post, it has dawned on me that my days as a stay at home mum are numbered. Literally. There are only 26 days until my first day back at work.

For the most part, I'm excited about it, for a variety of different reasons: getting out of the house, feeling a different sense of worth in addition to that which I (usually) feel as a mother, generating a bit of extra income, having something else to talk about apart from the kids. I'm looking forward to opening a new chapter of our lives unbroken by maternity leave, to settling into a new routine. The best bit is that my job is part-time. Having done the full-time at home mum, full-time working mum and part-time working mum at different stages of my life, I am certain that going back to work part-time is the best scenario for me and for our family.

While I'm generally feeling positive about this next stage of our lives commencing, part of me is of course a little anxious. I've been away from the workforce for 9 months (actually my shortest stint away between babies), this is my last planned break from work and I think I'm lacking a bit of confidence about getting into it. I know that an interesting and challenging role awaits me and it's something I'm looking forward to doing - I feel so lucky to be able to do it - and yet I'm nervous. While most of me is looking forward eagerly, a little bit of me is looking back sadly.

So the upshot is that I'm a mixed bag of conflicting emotions. But one thing is for sure. For the next few weeks, I'm going to lap it up. I'm going to go shopping some days, do morning tea with the little MissyMoos and have other days at home in my pjs only getting changed into trackies to pick MissyMoo1 (5) up from the bus stop of an afternoon.

And as a side note, don't be surprised if you notice a slowdown in the blogging department in a few weeks' time, at least while we adjust to the new dynamics of our family life.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your return to work. I hope you find the perfect balance between grown up time away from home and spending quality family time. I do envy mums that can work part time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhia. As far as I'm concerned I'll be living the dream, even though it will be busy. I worked full-time when my eldest was very little and it was just so draining, physically and emotionally. I'm very lucky.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...