10 June 2012

The end of one era, the beginning of the next...

A few weeks ago I blogged about my upcoming return to work.

Looking back at it now, those few weeks seem to have flown. In that time, I have been doing my best to make the most of this maternity leave stage in my life. I have played with my kids, caught up with friends, blogged up a storm, knitted, read, written, while still keeping aside a couple of do-nothing, at-home days. All in all, I'm pretty happy with how this time has been spent.

In the past day or so, I have been a bundle of nervous energy. I have written lists for Nonna, who will be looking after the little MissyMoos during the day. My shirts are ironed, the pantry is stocked with lunch thingies and I'm trying to think organised thoughts, so I don't let too much slip through the net at home. I'll only be at work two days per week, but like anything, as it's different to the current routine, I need to put extra thought into it until it becomes the routine.

I have been looking forward to going back to work. The past 9 months of being able to stay at home full-time with the MissyMoos have been amazing, but they have also been tough. Having a new, third, baby has been a hard slog even though MissyMoo3 (8 months) is such a good little thing. I'm grateful to have been able to spend this time at home with all of them, and particularly during MissyMoo1's (5) first few months at school as she has adjusted to such a huge change in her own life, but I'm now ready for the next stage in our lives. I'm ready to spend some time outside the home, use my qualifications and contribute to our family financially. I'm happy that I have the opportunity to go back to part-time work in my profession and to hopefully be a role-model to my girls in a few different ways - as a mum, a professional and a juggler!

I'm sure I'll look back on this 9 months with rose-coloured glasses at times, when life is a new kind of busy. And I know I'll miss my girls when I'm away from them. But, at the risk of sounding harsh to some (although I don't mean it that way), going back to work has gotten easier every time I have had a new MissyMoo: possibly because I know we've done it before and survived, possibly because my work is part-time, possibly because being looked after by their Nonna is the best kind of childcare I could hope for them to have aside from the care of their own parents.

So, Tuesday is the day. Only two sleeps to go!

I have every intention of keeping up with my blogging - it has become an important part of my life and I love the connection it has brought me to people I would not otherwise have come across. Just don't be surprised if you hear from me a little less frequently, at least for the next few weeks while we're adjusting.

xx

5 comments:

  1. I've been off for 12 months with my first baby and I'm due to go back in a couple of weeks. I have loved being at home and I feel my little boy has benefited immensely. I would happily stay home if I could, but having some adult time might also be beneficial. All I know is its going to be hard. You are lucky you have family to care for her. Makes the world of difference in how you feel about leaving them. Thanks for linking up with Twinkle in the Eye and Flash Blog Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bree, I hope your return to work goes well for you and for your little boy. It is a big adjustment and it is hard, particularly with the first child. It makes a huge difference when you are confident with your children's carers and yes, we are very lucky to have Nonna willing and able to help us out. Thanks for hosting - I love flashing my blog at Twinkle in the Eye! :-)

      Delete
  2. Another new chapter in your life to look forward to . A Nonna sounds the best carer in the world , next to Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am returning in two weeks! This time around maternity leave has gone by so fast! :( Master M is going to the same day care centre as Miss Z so it is good that respect. I was over my job before I left so not looking forward to it or that reason. Giving it 6 months and if I am not happy I will look for something else, the company has been good giving me 3 days and the hours I want. So I shouldn't complain too much. My blogging will be kept up for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, sorry I meant to reply to you aaages ago. I read this comment on my phone and couldn't comment, then I forgot which post you had commented on!

      Okay, so now that I have my brain back and I have found you, I just wanted to say that I hope your return to work goes smoothly for you, hubby and your kids. From my experience, having the two kids in the same daycare centre is really good for both of them, especially the little one at first who can see a familiar face through the day.

      xx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...