18 June 2012

Hold onto your Polly Pockets, it's crawling time!

For the past few weeks, I have been describing MissyMoo3's (8 months) stage of physical development as "wanting to crawl" or "nearly crawling".

That changed this morning. She is now crawling.

Not chase-her-sisters-up-and-down-the-hallway crawling just yet, but shimmy-on-over-half-a-metre-to-get-to-the-newspaper-mum-thinks-is-out-of-reach stage. Sigh.

I am excited for her and for all of us. This is another milestone for our baby, bringing her into more active participation in family life. A thing to celebrate.

But...

I really liked the sitting-but-not-yet-crawling stage. It was ... easy.

With the third child now definitely mobile, things get stressful. With scenes like this to increase my heart rate, who needs to jog?

Age-appropriate toys are a great concept for children, specifically first-born children. But when your curious, fearless, newly-mobile baby has older siblings, particularly sisters, peril lurks in every corner. I remember this fear from when MissyMoo2 (3) first started crawling. But now, with two kids' worth of little stuff, I have come to the realisation that I can no longer control the mess. Polly pockets, Barbie shoes, Littlest Pet Shop, non-Duplo Lego ... Sorry, I need to stop there before I begin to hyperventilate. Right, so instead of attempting to create order from chaos, my tactics need to change: this time I focus on the baby.

I have brought out the playpen in an attempt to create a controlled environment. If I need to leave the room, MissyMoo3 is promptly plonked in there. If she wants to have some time on the "outside" (or the "exercise yard"), I will be shutting all bedroom doors and let her do laps of the lounge room and hallway.

Let the games begin!

12 comments:

  1. I can really relate to this one. My Miss 5 has recently discovered Lego too - teeny, tiny little bits everywhere just waiting to be eaten! We set up a playpen too, which worked well for awhile but once the really active crawling/cruising started my baby boy would just stand in the playpen and scream. In the end, Miss 5 started taking her Lego/ponies/etc into the playpen and leaving the other 2 kids to have the run of the house! Now that the baby boy is 1 though, the three often want to play together. I've just trained the girls to yell loudly if he puts anything in his mouth. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Lara. I think it's great when my two older ones dob on each other - then I know what's going on. I'll have to get them to do it with Miss A too!

      Delete
  2. That's great news that she's crawling! My son started walking on his own yesterday! Milestones aplenty!
    Yes you're right to be worried about the little toys, they're so tiny! Great idea though about the playpen. I might have to save that one in my memory bank for my next baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations to your big boy, so clever! He'll be running after you in no time. They're so cute when they start toddling around :-)

      Delete
  3. good luck!!! I remember those days well. the general rule in our house was if it can fit through a toilet paper roll it is not allowed near the baby...
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I remember when Master A first started crawling. We were moving house, so I was trying to pack with a little munchkin getting into EVERYTHING! It was enough to do anybody's head in!
    Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My little man has become a competent walker in the last three weeks. You are right they can participate more when they are active which indeed has it's good and bad sides! Thanks for linking up for Flash Blog Friday and thanks again for the #FF on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My littlest one started crawling recently too - it has definitely complicated life a little more!
    new follower via flash blog friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can SOOOO relate to this!!! I did have to laugh at your photo. That is exactly what most floors in our house look like and no matter how many times I put all the barbie bits into one tub and all the la la loopsy's into another etc etc they STILL end up all over the place. My Miss L is also at that crawling stage but she hates the play pen which make me very cranky mummy!!! #FYBF

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have the same problem! Master 9 months premmie is rolling and squirming all over the place with crawling just a hairs breathe away. Suddenly littlest pet shops, barbie accessories etc are all a hazard that i'm panicking about. Life definately changes once each new baby becomes mobile

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankfully Punky, at 18 months hasn't progressed to a lot of small toys thanks to her propensity to still put a lot of stuff in her mouth but I'm sure by the time PJ#2 reaches the crawling stage there will be more small stuff lying around and I am dreading it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ADORE your new blog look - sorry it's taken me awhile to reply, got a lot going on IRL at moment. My third-born 20 month old laughs in the face of toddler toys, he wants scooters, helmets and texters! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...