28 June 2012

Thankful Thursday: My Own Space

I've never lived alone.

Growing up, I lived with my parents and sister. Since then, I've lived on campus at uni, with friends, Hubby, then add in MissyMoos 1, 2 and 3. In my teens, I used to assume that I would live alone before I met someone special and had a family, that I would spend some time in my own apartment, with just my things, possessions arranged the way I wanted them, being completely autonomous and independent. It didn't turn out that way. I have had my own bedroom before, which is about the extent of it, but even that was a long time ago considering I've been married for seven years!

I don't regret it at all. I love having people around me and I think I would have been lonely and bored if I'd lived alone.

That doesn't mean I don't value a bit of my own space.

Yesterday at work, I was finally completely set up. Desk, drawers, swivelly chair, computer, phone, folders, my professional notes and documents retrieved from a cupboard at home and returned to their natural environment. A photo of each of the MissyMoos up on the wall above my desk and a framed wedding photo next to the computer complete the picture.

My workspace.

My space.

My life is not isolated. Having to share my things and my space means that I'm also fortunate enough to share in the love and happiness that my family gives me. Having said that, it is nice to have a place that is off limits to little hands, that is respected and not interfered with. It doesn't worry me that I share an office with someone else. A corner of it is for me. I can have things just the way I want them, arranged so that I am comfortable, happy and productive. That is what I'm thankful for this Thursday.

Linking up with Kate at kate says stuff for Thankful Thursday

8 comments:

  1. I was nodding my head as I read your post - I also never lived alone and have often wondered what I missed out on by not living alone. AFter thinking about it I think I would have been lonely if I had lived by myself - but would loved to have had all my own things around me without the hoarding that my husband does !!!!
    Linking in with TT from Kate.
    Have the best Thursday and take care - love, hugs and positive energy !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand this and can relate to it! Having my work and my work space means that there's something that's just for me. It helps me to separate myself from being someone's mum or someone's wife. I really appreciate my time as just plain, old Kim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice, isn't it? It's easy to lose our identity sometimes. Thanks for commenting :-)

      Delete
  3. I've never lived alone either! I got married young and went from living with my parents to living with my husband. Then the kids came along and... 23 years later with only one son at home with me now, I'm very close to having my own space. I say "Bring it on!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that will be quite a change! Thanks for commenting :-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Francesca;
    You were the first person I thought of when thinking of who to nominate for a Liebster Blog Award...
    Here's the link...
    http://readwriteblog-schez.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/oooooh-for-me.html
    I hope this O.K. ... If you rather not; it's totally cool. I just wanted people to see you have a lovely blog. ;-)

    P.S. I read this post and quite simply have to agree. I come from a large family; and having my own space was always kind of a struggle, I then moved in with my partner-then-soon-to-be-hubby... :-) Our house now feels like it's shrinking, and finding my own space is... tricky! But I love it and I create "me" space where and when I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much Schez, of course I don't mind! I will pass this on as soon as I have a chance to concentrate and think of 11 things about me to write.

      You're lovely :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...