07 July 2012

I Spy in July: Bookiness

I spy with my little eye...


I have just finished reading this book. It was my birthday present from my in-laws.

I won't review it, except to say that I found the story intriguing and enjoyable despite the brutality in parts (I get a little squeamish at that kind of stuff).

The purpose of this post is not to review the book. I don't often do book reviews, except when I feel really strongly about a book I have read, as I did in April. Once I've read a book, I like to move on, rather than dwell on it to review it, and I always wonder if I might give too much away in a review. Let's just say that I lack confidence and motivation in the book reviewing area. This Charming Mum does great book reviews if you're looking for that in a blog.

No, not a book review, the "I Spy" is my inspiration to tell you about my enjoyment of reading.

I used to read so much pre-children. As a child and teenager, I day-dreamed that my adult home would contain a room of wall-to-wall bookshelves filled with books: my very own library. This is far from reality right now. I own quite a few books (not as many as I'd like though), but a dedicated library is still a dream along with winning lotto and owning a mansion.

Post-children, I know my limitations with reading, so m y goal this year is realistic: I want to average one book per month. So far I'm right on track. Since having children, I have a love-hate relationship with reading novels. I love to read them, and if I'm reading a good one, I don't like to put it down. I get caught up in the story and the characters - the book is always in the back of my mind. The "hate" side of this relationship with reading, though, is that I become distracted as a mother. I find excuses to read and so do less child-watching and housework. This is something I really must be mindful of now that MissyMoo3 (9 months) is crawling. It is also something I must be more mindful of now because, with two days per week out of the house at work, there is less of a buffer to procrastinate with housework.

Now that this book is finished, I'm wondering what to read next. An e-book on Google Play (I have a few free classics on there as yet unread)? An oldie from the bookshelf I haven't read in a while? A random from the town library?


Join me for "I Spy in July". See my introductory post for an explanation. I don't have any linky widgets, so if you do join in, please leave a comment on that post to let me know and link to your post so we can all read what you spy in July.

4 comments:

  1. Vinegar Hill. It was an Oprahs book club choice quite a few years back. Our local Old Ducks book club met this week and this is the book we have to read for the next get together. What don't you read it too and join us...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Francesca,

    I can totally relate to this post when talk about knowing your reading limitations now you have kiddies - same as!

    I've fimally got around to having a go at your I-Spy theme, here's the linky: http://readwriteblog-schez.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/anyone-for-game-of-i-spy.html

    P.S. What book have you decided on?! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining in on "I Spy in July"! It's winter here, so I think those slippers looks so nice & cosy.

      I think I'll try reading Vinegar Hill as Gina suggested, if I can get my hands on a copy before the next Old Ducks Book Club meeting!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...