16 July 2012

I Spy in July: Home-Grown

I spy in July...

...lemons from our tree.

A few years ago, we planted a lemon tree in our backyard. For a year or so now, it has been bearing fruit - and lots of it! I wish I could take some credit for this, but Hubby has put in all the work - planting, watering and feeding it.

The MissyMoos love picking ripe lemons from the tree and the smell of them freshly picked is just beautiful. I love being able to use something we've grown ourselves in our cooking. And for the leftover lemons, Hubby squeezes the juice from them and we add lemon juice to water for drinking (sometimes).

We have a decent sized backyard and sometimes I think it would be wonderful to plant a veggie patch again (we had one when MissyMoo1 was a baby - and it produced a decent amount of veg - but it didn't last long past my starting full-time work). I have this romantic idea about producing some of our own food: herbs, tomatoes, peas, corn, and having a few laying hens running around the back section of the yard. I like the idea of growing our own stuff - on one level as an achievement in itself and on another level, as a bonus it might reduce the cost of the weekly food shop while being miles fresher than the supermarket stuff.

I have had this picture of our backyard functional garden in my head for quite a while, but haven't gotten around to doing anything about it. I have had many excuses over the years: pregnancy and newborn-associated reasons, as well as just finding other things to do with my time. It may not happen this spring. In fact, it probably won't. But even so, I am happy to be able to say that we have a bowl of home-grown lemons sitting on the bench just waiting to nourish us.

Join me for "I Spy in July". See my introductory post for an explanation. I don't have any linky widgets, so if you do join in, please leave a comment on that post to let me know and link to your post so we can all read what you spy in July.

3 comments:

  1. Those lemons look lovely. I actually checked our lemon tree this weekend and we have only three small lemons that are still green! We are a few weeks off a harvest like yours!

    And I have the same visions of a vegetable garden in back yard. We have a few fruit trees and the odd herb growing in a pot but I would love to have a proper veggie patch. Some day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your lemons photo! Lemon meringue pie is one of my favourite desserts. Maybe we can combine your lemons and Betty and Wilma's eggs and have morning tea, afternoon tea, book club tea...!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...