19 July 2012

Thankful Thursday: Silence

Normally when I get home from work, I pull into the garage, gather my things and take one last deep breath in the darkness before I launch into family life. I go straight upstairs into the brightness of the family room, to the excitement of three MissyMoos. Three little people coming towards me, two talking over the top of each other to tell me about their day, the other one squealing just to be heard. Dinner is sizzling, the kitchen exhaust fan is on, sometimes even the radio. Hubby dishes up dinner. I, still in my suit, launch into mamma mode, plonking MissyMoo3 (9 months) into the high chair and giving her the rest of her dinner, asking MissyMoo2 (3), MissyMoo1 (5) and Hubby about their days. The excitement of all being together again at the end of the day translates into noise and over-stimulation. And so our evening begins...

Last night when I got home from work, things were different. I parked in the driveway beside the garage, as the roller door was shut and the remote is kept in the family car, not the little runabout I drive on my work days. I entered the house through the front door instead of through the garage. There were no shouts of "Muuuuuuuum" coming from upstairs, hastening my re-entrance into family live for the evening. Instead of going upstairs to the family room, I made my way to my bedroom. I got changed, slowly, deliberately suppressing my urge to rush in all things. Only after I was comfortable did I make my way upstairs, heading straight for the couch.
I listened, letting the sound of silence hum through my ears.

I stayed still.

For ten whole minutes.

I had nothing to do - no driving, no reading, no typing. It was just me.

Then I heard the roller door open and the family car pull into the garage. I closed my book and went downstairs into the darkness of the garage to launch back into family life. Hubby had taken the MissyMoos out to pick up some take-away food for dinner and had given me something precious: silence.

It may only have been ten minutes. But that is all I needed to be ready for the evening. That is all I wanted before being excited to see my lovely family again to end our day together.

For this, I am thankful.


Linking up with Kate from katesaysstuff for Thankful Thursday.

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just really need that ten minutes don't you?
    I am also so grateful for Daddy R when he takes Baby C for just a few minutes and gives me a chance to be alone with my thoughts for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the precious, golden silence! It's so beautiful isn't it? Sometimes my hubby doesn't understand when he finds me at home with not a tv on or music playing, just enjoying a brief moment of serenity. I couldn't handle much longer than a fleeting moment though, family noise not only fills my ears, it fills my heart too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this post. I never understood the silence is golden thing until I had children ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so understand what you mean. I love getting home just before the school bus so I can have a quick cuppa and get my smile on my face for when the kids come through the front door!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...