23 August 2012

Thankful Thursday: Perspective

We've had a big couple of weeks. I might blog about it if real life spares me some time.

During the past couple of weeks I have also put a bit of space between myself and technology. You might have noticed that I have been blogging less - I didn't even do Thankful Thursday last week for the first time since I started joining in. The computer doesn't get switched on every night, my smartphone is no longer an appendage. I have been spending more time focussed on one thing at a time - the MissyMoos, Hubby, work or housework - instead of being constantly distracted by my online persona.

This has been a long time coming. When I started work, I anticipated spending less time blogging, but I think I actually increased my activity, in an attempt to keep up with everything. Lately, I have still had a lot of ideas for blog posts coming to mind, but I have had no desire to actually sit down and write them.

I've realised that I need to and want to simplify things. I am never going to make a living from blogging and I have no desire to - I have a career with which I am satisfied and it's my financial contribution to our household. I don't want to have 60 new blog posts a day appearing in my Google Reader. I don't want to blog for the sake of blogging just because it's a day on which I usually join in on a theme.

So, I've un-followed a few blogs I never read anyway, but I've still kept many - the ones I want to read, the people I want to keep up with. My Facebook and Twitter profiles remain as they are and I'm happy with that. I'll blog when I feel like it, not when I feel I should. After all, this blog started out as my outlet - and that's what it still is, as well as now being a great record of our lives and memories to look back on in time. I've "met" some wonderful women through this venture and I'm hanging onto that for dear life. Some of these people I have stumbled across because I love how they write; some I knew in real life and found we have blogging in common; some I have found to have even more than blogging in common (I've even connected with someone whose family come from the same home town in Sicily as my family!) Blogging has become a part of my life, but like any part of life, it needs a Spring clean too! This is by no means the end of my blogging - just a new chapter.

I'm thankful for the perspective that can come when you step back from things. I've done this a few times in my life now and it never ceases to amaze me how great it can be just to stop being pulled by the current of life and simply bob up and down a bit and see the bigger picture.

Linking up with Kate at katesaysstuff for Thankful Thursday

3 comments:

  1. Perspective is a good thing sometimes. I need to pay more attention to the bigger picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? It's actually really nice to hear (read) someone genuinely say that they're just here to express themselves. So many blogs I read it seems to be all about trying to get stats and dollars, I understand if you need to make a living from this, but where's the love? Good on you.
    I go back to work in January and I was thinking that I won't have time to post as often as I do. But I guess that's not suck a bad thing...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...