12 August 2012

Vinegar Hill - A. Manette Ansay


A few friends of mine formed a book club a while back, called the Old Ducks Book Club, and they recently asked me if I would like to go along. For my first book club gathering, this is the book we were reading.

By the time I had gotten around to thinking about obtaining a copy of the book, the local library only had available copies on audio tape, which was no good for me, as I constantly had kids in the house and would not have been able to concentrate (or censor, if required). I ended up ordering a cheap, second hand copy from eBay. It arrived the day before our scheduled meeting, so, the night before, I read it from cover to cover.

I have since read snippets of reviews commenting about it being well-written etc. To be completely honest, I read it so quickly that I was not really concentrating too much on the way the author used language etc. It was un-put-down-able, in the sense that I needed to not put it down to finish it in time for book club, as well as in the sense that I was eager to know what happened next, but also dreading it. The story was intriguing in a seeing-a-bus-crash-and-not-being-able-to-turn-away kind of way.

The only positive I could really get out of it is that I appreciated what a great husband I have all the more. As I mentioned on my "Books" page, it was the opposite of uplifting. Personally, I did not feel that I gained anything from reading this book.

The morning of our scheduled book club meeting, I checked my email to find that the gathering had been postponed a week as one of the Old Ducks was unable to make it. I (very briefly) thought about reading the book again, more slowly, before we met to try to find something new to appreciate in it, but I could not bring myself to do it.

Book: Paperback. I own it (unfortunately) - bought it 2nd hand from eBay.
Rating: I gave it 2 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: The opposite of uplifting. But un-put-down-able. I read it in a night, as I just had to know how it ended.

3 comments:

  1. I have had the Steve Jobs book on my bedside table for months now!
    I just never get consistent time to read anymore.
    I will read a few chapters and then not have the chance to read for a few weeks and so have to start all over again!

    Your Old Ducks Book Club sounds fun. I was in a book club a while back and I loved it...of course we always ended up drinking too much wine and gossiping instead of discussing the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Steve Jobs is another one I'd like to read - one day.

      Yes, not much discussion of the book occurs in our book club either, but it's a starting point!

      Delete
    2. We've got the Steve Jobs one our bedside table too since Christmas. It looks chunky and I haven't quite been brave enough to tackle it yet! As for Vinegar Hill, show me the nearest bottle of wine so I can drink myself into oblivion... I'm glad this months Old Ducks is lighter!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...