26 September 2012

Hump Day Hobbies: Songwriting

Lara over at This Charming Mum has a guest blogger spot called "Hump Day Hobbies" and this is my contribution to the theme. To read it on her site, click here. She has written a fantastic intro.

As a guitar-playing, music-studying teenager, songwriting was a natural channelling of my hormone-led rollercoaster ride of emotions. I would come up with a theme (usually something about a boy I liked or didn't like, something catty a girl at school had said, or dreams of my glamorous adult future .. ahem). A line or two of lyrics would form in my mind, which would be the embryo of the chorus or verse. I experimented with chord progressions, song structures and tunes. I would spend hours procrastinating making music in my last two years of school and through my uni years. I kept it up for years, writing countless songs, just me and my guitar.

My inspiration has always been emotional; usually some kind of sadness, pain, angst. I wrote songs when I was happy too, but they never quite seemed as good - with the exception of a couple which Hubby loves to this day. He's my biggest fan :-)

I almost feel like a bit of a fraud though, writing about this in the present tense as if it is still a hobby of mine. It was a big part of my life for a long time. I still consider it a part of me and a hobby of mine. Until I think back to how long it has been since I wrote a complete song, or a couple of complete songs in a row. I can't be sure, but I think it may have been about 6 years ago. What happened, you ask? Motherhood happened. No longer was a guitar-playing session spontaneously at my disposal, and when I did get the opportunity, I felt ... uninspired. It wasn't that I had nothing to write about, far from it. But when I wrote about what was happening in my life at the time - a new kind of hormone-led rollercoaster ride of emotions - the songs I was hashing together just didn't seem to do the subject-matter justice. And so I left a string of half-done choruses and forgotten chord progressions behind me...

Never fear, the hobby is still there somewhere, aching for its chance to shine. Occasionally, I am inspired and put a few bits and pieces together. MissyMoo1 (5) has even encouraged me a couple of times recently (what a sweetheart). I'm sure that with time will come more opportunities to create, and more practising will improve the quality, not to mention the enjoyment I will get out of it. This hobby's heart's not broken yet (ooh, that could be a good name for a song...)!

This Charming Mum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...