21 September 2012

Road Trip With a Car Full - Are We Crazy?

So, the school holidays are upon us.

A holiday has been in the pipeline for months. We've had it planned, subject to MissyMoo2 (3) not needing hip surgery (which she doesn't - happy dance) since early in the year. When I say "planned", I mean that the dates have been set and accommodation booked. That was really the extent of it.

Fast forward to this week and I realise that I have given next to no thought to packing, or amusing three MissyMoos during a long car trip in a sedan with nowhere to escape. Work was insanely crazy busy, as unbeknownst to me at the time of booking the trip, deadlines are looming the week I return from annual leave. So now, here I am, having a well-earned blogging break after writing my lists (after all, I do have superior list-making skills) while the big MissyMoos are doing their chores and I'm having a cuppa. That sounds really bad actually. I have done more than write lists today - we're blitzing the housework in an attempt to have a vaguely welcoming home to return to. Packing can wait until we're organised.

Anyway, I digress.

This is the longest distance car trip we've made since having kids.

And we're doing it with three of them.

So ... are we crazy?

We're looking forward to family time, without school, activities, or promptness requirements of any kind. We've set our own itinerary, breaking up the trip with many stops entailing different amusements. We're telling the MissyMoos about all the games they can make up in the car to pass the time. We're staying in an apartment with a washing machine - very important. We're only scheduling one activity per day so we have some down time.

I know it's do-able. Once a year in the heat of summer, in the days before air-conditioned cars, my parents, my sister and I would embark on a 10 hour plus drive interstate to visit my nonni. This'll be a walk in the park in comparison - hmmm. Slight difference - this time I'm the parent...

I'm looking forward to being a "tourist" again. Seeing sights with Hubby and the MissyMoos. I've been so "busy", I haven't really had a chance to get excited until now. Now I'm excited!

Where will we be going? Well, you know I'm a fan of mystery. You'll just have to wait until I get back and I'll tell you all about it :-)

6 comments:

  1. Have a good trip!
    I am looking forward to hearing all about it!

    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a lovely break! Long car trips with my two daunt me! I hope your little ones sleep during the drive xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We survived! And there was a lot of sleeping, phew.

      Delete
  3. Hi Francesca Ooh, you're game! I haven't attempted such a trip with the pixies yet. Good for you. Thanks so much for linking up with the POTMC. J x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...