14 September 2012

Try-Hard Italian - Roasted Peppers

My friend B once asked me if I identify as Italian. Her father was Irish and she identifies with her Irish heritage. My response is that I think of myself as a try-hard Italian. I try to speak the language, I try to cook Italian food. I want it to be natural, but I still feel like I need to try at it. Growing up away from all the other Italian family we had in this country and not being constantly surrounded by the culture has meant that I always feel like I'm just touching it with my fingertips - but not properly grasping or feeling entirely comfortable with what I'm trying to achieve.

The other day I had some capsicum in the fridge, which I had bought for a stir-fry, but never gotten around to using. So I decided to roast them. This was a big step for me. I'm not one to see ingredients in the fridge and just come up with a way of using them which wasn't already planned out at the point of purchase.

So I got out my Italian Food Safari cookbook and roasted them. Here's the result:


I realised that if I'd put them in the jar in reverse, I'd have had traffic light peppers!

After this, at Nonna's advice, I put some oil & garlic in there, mixed it around for eating. It was my delicious lunch yesterday with Brie and crackers - mmmm, buono...

8 comments:

  1. They look yum! It's funny, I have always seen B as being of Irish nationality. Something about her oozes Gaelic. I always see you as Italian too. I think there must be something in your personalities that call out to the world "I am me, I am Australian...and a little extra!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina, "A little extra" - I like that :-)

      Delete
  2. These would be great on pizza. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, I'll have to try that next time I make some (I've already gobbled up these ones).

      Delete
  3. Great effort - roasted peppers are so delish!
    Cheers,
    Mez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mez, I'll definitely be doing them again.

      Delete
  4. As B's sister, I always identify as Irish Australian, it's just who we are. In saying that I also embrace many other culture's food heritage. We've just had home-made roasted peppers, speck (Scottish) & mushrooms in a quiche, with an English spinach & avocado salad....lots of cultural food love there! Keep making the peppers, so easy, so tasty, so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! M! I was thinking it might be you when I looked at your blog but now I know for sure :-)

      Yum, that sounds delicious!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...