16 September 2012

Where is my time going? Getting organised...

Although I'm only back at work two days per week, I have been finding that the two days away from the house leave me a lot less incidental time to get housework done.

I'm not a huge fan of housework. I wouldn't say that it comes naturally to me. And with little ones messing up things as soon as they're cleaned, the seeming futility of it all can sap any motivation which may have miraculously entered my psyche. Sometimes, there are things which I'll only notice need to be done because they've not been done for long enough that it is ridiculously obvious (even to me).

I realised that, during phases in my life when time-management has been of the essence, such as studying for the HSC and uni exams, I always came up with a super-dooper schedule to allocate my time adequately to all of the things needing my attention.

So, I recently dusted off my scheduling cobwebs (I am much better at metaphorical cobweb dusting) and put together a schedule to help me see where my time is actually spent.

I've only done weekdays; weekends can be for fun and any catching up (like today, I caught up on washing the kitchen floor).

I've only had this for a couple of weeks. I found that when I first put the table together, it really made me look at how many hours there are in the day to split between all of my responsibilities (and how many of those hours I'm willing or able to dedicate to being a domestic goddess). I think it's making a difference, but I haven't really been following it all that closely, as things have been a bit out of whack with MissyMoo1's (5) activities for the past couple of weeks (I'll save that post for another day). School holidays in a week will throw another spanner in the works but I'm hopeful that this little beauty will get me through Term 4.

What little tricks do you have to organise yourself?


34 comments:

  1. I have a similar schedule, though it's no where near as organised as yours.

    Great idea by the way - I think you've inspired me to creat a new version of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm sure it will need some tweaking once reality sets in but it's a good start :-)

      Delete
  2. According to your schedule you should currently be vacuuming etc etc - get to work :P
    Katie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie, you'll keep me in check. I've blogged it, now I have to do it :-P

      Delete
  3. In theory a great idea, I just wouldn't stick to it. It's all up here though (points to head). I just have to re-prioritise quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sophie, I think sticking to it will be my biggest challenge.

      Delete
  4. Great idea - I am not nearly as organised as this. Lists work for out of the ordinary stuff for me.
    Have a great weekend - good on you for not scheduling any chores on the weekend - that is fun time !!!
    Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, can't cramp my weekend style! Hope you have a great weekend too :-)

      Delete
  5. This is so super organised! my approach to house work is rather hap hazard to say the least. Just a little Q.. when do you take washing out/fold/put away etc? I can only see put washing on. Dealing with the washing is my least fav (or most despised) job so always keen to see how others deal with it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I just have to stick to it!

      To hang out the washing, I just go outside with the kids about 15 minutes before we go to school. They have a play in the backyard while I hang out the washing, then we all get in the car from there and off we go. Same thing for taking it in - we just go outside 10 minutes beforehand while I quickly take it down and run it inside, then it's into the car with all of us!

      I just realised there's one I haven't put there - probably in denial because it's my least fav: cleaning the oven...

      Delete
    2. Catherine, as for folding and putting away. That kind of happens here and there. I sometimes get the kids to help me if homework is done or they're in need of something to do. Otherwise it sits in the "night session" with ironing.

      Delete
  6. You are super organised! I need to get more organised. I'm falling behind with everything.
    Prue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I, that's why, for me, it had to come to this :-)

      Delete
  7. There's a lot to be said for teaching kids to help (read: enforced cleaning assistance). My kids love to sweep the floors, because I made them think that I love doing it. I learnt it had to be a bit of reverse psychology after whining about the vacuuming so much that they were far too scared of the vacuum to take over that domestic chore. Alternatively, I am also of the belief that dust builds immunity. True story. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your immunity theory!

      This morning Miss E(5) did the dishes and Miss L(3) did the dusting. It was great, such a productive catch-up day. They make most of the mess, nothing wrong with involving them in cleaning it up ;-)

      Delete
  8. fabulous idea! love the schedule!



    Popping over from FYBF :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cleaning doesn't come naturally to me either.... perhaps I should also make a schedule x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to copy - I just used a Microsoft Word table to put it together. If nothing else, it looks pretty ;-)

      Delete
  10. I need a schedule like this! Good for motivation I think! Now just to add it to my to do list and do all the things I have on the list!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. great idea! I would probably only stick to it for about a day... before everything would fall apart... i have my plan in my head and always think about putting it to paper. SOmething stops me x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't rely on my head, which is why I've written it down. My memory is useless since I had the kids.

      Delete
  12. I'm a strong believer that the weekends are for living. we go hard during the week, I don't want to feel like that every single day.
    I'm sure it will all settle down and you'll find your place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, wow! I envy your organisational skills. I need to get a schedule going like this one! Go, you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Bree. Shucks, you're pretty darn awesome yourself :-)

      Delete
  15. I don't do schedules, I suck at them. I use Toggl though to keep track of what I am doing because I get bored so easily and jump from job to job it feels like I've not done much but it shows me I have :) I bow down to anyone who can keep to their schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's Toggl?

      Well, it's early days, let's see if I can keep to it!

      Delete
  16. You clean your windows every 3 weeks!?? I'm all about the clean house, but that just makes me look dirty, clearly I need to pick my act up! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't, Kelly, but it's one of those jobs where I don't realise how long it's been since I've cleaned them until I see dirty finger marks & mould. And I don't want it to get to that point any more, so I'm aiming for every 3 weeks. I'll have to do a post in a few weeks to check in with how it's going.

      Delete
  17. You are way more organised than me. Stuff gets done here, but it's all organised chaos :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...