04 October 2012

Family Holiday to Canberra

We've been on a holiday! And we survived!! I'm so thankful :-)

Before we left, I wondered if we were crazy. But we had a wonderful time together in Canberra, seeing the sights and having some precious family time.

I think we did this holiday well. Here's why:

We broke the car trip down into manageable pieces.
We did the first two hours after dinner with the MissyMoos in their comfy pjs. They all slept most of the way. It worked a treat ... except for the bit where MissyMoo3 (11 months) thought it was her afternoon nap, woke when we arrived at our stopover motel and had so much fun exploring the room that she didn't get back to sleep until just before 10pm. Sigh. But the other two went straight back to sleep when we put them in their beds.

The next morning we had two more stops before we reached Canberra. One was a morning tea stop with family and the next was a lunch stop at Goulburn. The Missy Moos enjoyed seeing the Big Merino (their first "Big" thing).

I think this approach was definitely the way to go for our first long car trip with three kids. There was plenty to amuse them and they didn't get too bored along the way. I thought MissyMoo1 (5) and I might have had to do  some negotiation about song selection - I had a big talk to them beforehand about how every family member should be able to listen to things they like - but it was actually MissyMoo2 (3) who kept wanting to listen to Katy Perry over and over again. And not the whole CD, just the first few songs...

We brought re-enforcements
Gran and Soot came too. We had our own space and did some of our own things, but we were also able to spend a lot of time together and do most of our outings together. It was great to spend time together as well as to have extra eyes, ears and hands helping us look after the MissyMoos.

We had suitable accommodation
We stayed in a two bedroom apartment only a couple of minutes' walk from a major shopping centre. I can take no credit for this - Gran and Soot organised it. It was just what we needed - Hubby and I in one bedroom with MissyMoo3 in the port-a-cot and MissyMoo1 & MissyMoo2 in the other bedroom. There was a kitchen, laundry and bathroom with a bath, all of which were put to good use (no, there are no holidays from doing washing).

We spaced out the activities
We planned one major outing per day. This was great, as it allowed us to have down time, and gave us a buffer for when Leopold and Felicity stopped by, so we didn't miss out on too much when we had to stay in for a few hours.

We left at the right time
We ended our time in Canberra the day before the start of the long weekend, which meant that traffic wasn't too heavy. The weather was atrocious the morning we left too, after having been lovely all week, so it was the right time to go!

There were little lessons learned along the way, of course, but all in all we had a wonderful family holiday. It was so nice for us to have that uninterrupted time together. I'm also really proud of us as a family that we managed well, and I'm especially proud of Hubby and I for being an awesome team.

I'll post more about the trip later on, with photos to make it interesting, but for now, I'm just thankful.

Thankful Thursday

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fantastic trip! I'll be taking a leaf out of your book for our next trip and cutting down the driving days... Two 9 hour trips was way too much for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kate, I don't know how you did that, it would have driven me crazy!

      Delete
  2. Sounds great. Family holidays can be a lot of work - but soooo worth it! Nothing tops quality family time x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Jolene. Quality family time is precious :-)

      Delete
  3. These are great tips. We haven't been brave enough to take all 3 kids anywhere for longer than a day yet! We used to do so much travelling and I really miss it, but the logistics of it all terrifies me! I love the way you've broken things down into bite-size pieces. Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite daunting, but it's definitely possible with (lots of) planning.

      Delete
  4. We are a couple of weeks away from a family holiday and I can't wait! Sounds like you all had a great time. I have a friend moving to Canberra at the end of the year so anxious to go and visit and see what it has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a wonderful time on your holiday :-)

      Delete
  5. Well done you on being so organised and having such a lovely time. Organisation and thought really does make a difference doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Rhianna, organisation and though are the difference between success and spectacular failure!

      Delete
  6. Ah, nothing like a well planned, organised and smooth sailing holiday! I'm from Canberra and think it's such a great place for families. Wise move and leaving a day before the rush on the roads too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, without the big city feel. I'm a country girl so I really liked that.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...