23 November 2012

Francesca Takes the Train

Speaking of taking the train, I took the train the other day - a few trains actually, both inter-city and intra-city. It was quite interesting in a 'thank goodness I don't do this every day any more' kind of way.

I was doing work on the train, which helped immensely in passing the time, but there was also ample opportunity to observe my surroundings - both objects and people - as well as listening to some rather interesting (and some cringeworthy) conversations between passengers (I find it slightly unsettling how people carry on conversations as if no-one else can hear them...)

My "take home message" from this experience is that I am so happy with, thankful for and proud of the decisions Hubby and I have made in the past few years to have us where we are right now. We might not have a fancy house or an annual holiday, but the grass is greener on our side. Back in the day when we were newlyweds living the corporate life in a rented box in the sky, I was sometimes made to feel by colleagues with their big-city lawyer mentality, that I was sacrificing my career by having a baby at the tender age of 25 (which, for a lawyer in my field, was rare). It turns out that this was not the case - I am happy with where I am professionally. But not only professionally - I am so proud of our MissyMoos, of Hubby and I for creating such beautiful people and of the way we have stayed true to our priorities and ourselves.

Wow, what a productive train ride!

14 comments:

  1. Sound like a great train ride. Good on you for feeling at peace with where your life is

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Francesca. We really do often underestimate our own happiness... and overestimate the how much money we need to make it so.
    Enjoy. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent train ride to produce such a positive thought process.

    What you leave behind when you depart this life is the most important thing, and unless you are an amazing artist/musician etc, then the best thing you can leave behind is people who are better because you have been in their lives.

    People that you created, who are loving, caring and productive are the best legacy, not piles of money in the bank, a big house, fancy car or legislation that you have drafted.....x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really admire your certainty and positivity. It's fantastic that you feel you've made the right choices for you and your family. What a great feeling! I need to go catch a train!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great feeling because they're not always easy choices to make :-)

      Delete
  5. I have always loved the saying "the grass is always greener where you water it". It sounds like you are tending to yours beautifully. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great saying. I was always "the grass is always greener on the other side" kind of girl, but I'm definitely seeing the bloom from watering. I have been converted!

      Delete
  6. Great post! I remember when I took the decision to leave my life as a lawyer in Canada and come to Australia to marry my hubby, I heard many negative comments... But three years now and I'm still very happy with the decision I made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only you can know yourself - others are only seeing part of the picture. So glad you're happy with your decision too :-)

      Delete
  7. Isn't it great when we can have these little moments to sit back and truly appreciate what we have in life? So many people tend to look at how grass is greener on the other side while really, it's so much more worthwhile to see how great we have it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...