19 November 2012

Fruit or Vegetable?

On the weekend, what started out as a simple chat in the car between myself, Hubby and the two biggest MissyMoos turned to confusion. Somehow the subject of fruit and vegetables came up. MissyMoo1 (5) and MissyMoo2 (3) were chatty, asking questions, engaging in conversation, so off went the stereo and on went our thinking caps.

MissyMoo1 asked what the difference was between a fruit and a vegetable. Thinking I knew what I was talking about, I responded knowingly that fruit have seeds and vegetables do not. "What about tomatoes?" came a little voice from the back of the car. Aha, I thought, I can answer this! I responded knowingly that tomatoes are actually fruit even though they don't taste sweet like most fruit, which is why we eat them with vegetables. "What about cucumber?" (MissyMoo2 loves cucumber at the moment. In the supermarket, it's always "Can we get a cucumber?").

Hmm, what about cucumber? It has seeds. I responded not so knowingly that it does have seeds so maybe it is a fruit, but we eat it with vegetables, a bit like tomatoes.

"What about zucchini?"

Bloody hell. Here we were, supposedly having an easy-going chat and my five and three-year-olds are getting all scientific on me. We were tying ourselves up in knots over the definitions of fruit and veg. I was supposed to be counting down the minutes to my first glass of bubbly at a family gathering. I decided to turn to Google in my minute of need. All I can say is thanks for nothing, Google. Sometimes having too much information is worse than not having enough.

We agreed that it really was a puzzle, and maybe we could think about it and come up with some new ideas later. Phew.

So, to any botanists out there (or any know-it-alls in general), now's your chance to shine. What is the difference between a fruit and a vegetable?

14 comments:

  1. I decided to enliven our family tea-time by raising this question. my smarty-pants kids were very quick to tell me that they already knew a tomato was a fruit, that the strawberry is the only fruit with its seeds outside its skin and that bananas not only have seeds but are herbs...?! When I asked about cucumbers and zucchini they just sighed in exasperation and told me if I really wanted to know why didn't I google it... Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your efforts, Gina! Sounds like your conversation ended much the same way as ours...

      Delete
  2. Ottima domanda...ma non so la risposta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I'm all confused now. Never took the time to think that far about fruit and vegs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good thing. You'll never get that time back...

      Delete
  4. I was going to say the same as you did but then I thought about pumpkins and their seeds and they are definitely a vegetable - sorry - no help at all !
    Have a great day anyway !
    Me
    #IBOT visitor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arrrggghh! Pumpkins! I didn't even think of those!

      Delete
  5. I don't know the answer to this.. perhaps a trip to Dr Google?

    Then let us all know :)

    #teamIBOT was here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr Google spewed information at me indiscriminately so we are currently not on speaking terms ;-)

      Delete
  6. Me? No help to you at all. I was hoping that google might help. Actually in our house we find grandkids who are about 5 seem to know everything! Visiting from #TeamIbot Denyse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm surprised my 5-year-old didn't have all the answers! Thanks for stopping by, Denyse.

      Delete
  7. Gina's comment made me laugh. Kids are so inquisitive, google is your best friend.
    Prue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Gina's kids are smart cookies, Prue, so if they're referring her to google, then we have a problem!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...