22 November 2012

Mrs Queen Takes the Train - William Kuhn

I was fortunate enough to win a proof copy of this book from Allen & Unwin in a Facebook competition recently.


I don't always enter these sorts of things but when I read the summary Allen & Unwin provided for the competition, I thought it would be something I'd be interested in reading.

The book is a fictional story of Queen Elizabeth II taking the train - alone - and a band of unlikely characters getting together in an attempt to find her.

The book contains a few old photos of various people at different stages of the story, which I thought was a lovely addition. It gave a bit of a "history book" feel to the novel, which I liked.

My only criticism would be that because of all of the characters, each having his or her own back story being told, the book did not flow as well as it could have. However, this was probably exacerbated by the fact that I was only able to read a few pages without interruption in any one sitting. It did all come together well in the end, though.

I would recommend this book when it comes out for something a bit different to read. Although a work of fiction, it had the effect of showing a soft, more human side to such a grand ceremonial figure. And it's nice to think that maybe, just maybe, even the Queen of England has days when she wants to get away from it all.

Book: Paperback proof copy. I own it - I won it in a competition.
Rating: I gave this 4 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: A light-hearted story about the escape of the Queen of England.

5 comments:

  1. It does look like an interesting read. I might have to search for this one. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure when it comes out. I'll keep my eyes open.

      Delete
  2. Francesca,

    Thank you for posting about my book. I'm glad you liked it! Mrs Queen has also asked me to send you her warm thanks.

    Bill Kuhn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting, Bill. I really enjoyed it. I hope Mrs Queen is feeling settled once more :-)

      Delete
  3. That sounds interesting. Might have to hunt that one down...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...