09 November 2012

Nativity Scene Envy

This time last year we were in the midst of making our very own nativity scene.

At the time, I hadn't been able to find a photo of the nativity scene which inspired this desire to build my own. Since then, my parents found and scanned this photo for me :


I'm the big sister on the right with the trendy haircut (aged 5). The cutie on the left is my little sister (aged 3). Anyway, aside from showing off the 80s styling, the purpose of publishing this photo is to show you the magnificent nativity scene which my Nonna made from scratch and which took pride of place in my Nonni's lounge room each Christmas.

Compare that with this:


It's slightly pathetic in comparison, but it's a start. We won't be attempting another one this year, but I'm happy to have the photo of the old and to bring out the new at the start of Advent.

10 comments:

  1. I'm the proud owner of a nativity scene I bought in a remote town in Madagascar. Some Nuns had taught the local ladies to embroider and to carve, to supplement their husband's meagre incomes.
    It's one of my favourite possessions, and I breathed a sigh of relief when Customs declared it safe to bring back to Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours doesn't look that bad. You have good start with those little figurines. Cute eighties hair do too ;P It's a very nice photo of you and your sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we were pretty cute even if I say so myself ;-)

      The figurines are from a bought nativity scene, but they're breakable. I have bought an Aldi one for this year's figurines, as they look a bit more kid-friendly.

      Delete
  3. I think the new one is a fine effort, but the old one is just amazing! Does anyone still have/use the old one? Very ambitious of you to make one anyway. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fantastic that you made the effort, looks great. I love the old and new pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never made a nativity scene myself but I think your effort is fantastic. I can't believe that christmas is just around the corner - where has the year gone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We attempted making one a few years ago, and I'll tell you yours looks heaps better!
    Now I've got the fisher price little people one, but when the kids get older and are less likely to break things, I'd love to get a really nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yours is so much better than mine. We bought the "Little People" nativity scene before Christmas last year. Now I'm feeling inspired to get out the pop sticks and start our own creation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...