13 November 2012

Toddles

Well, the time has come, MissyMoo3 (13 months) has finally done it: she is

WALKING!

This has seemed to be a long time coming, but that does not make it any less exciting. It has been a long time coming for two reasons:

(1) In my mind, I was assuming that she would walk at around twelve months, as MissyMoo1 took her first unaided steps a couple of weeks before her first birthday and MissyMoo2 took hers a day after hers (I know, I know, you shouldn't compare your children but seriously, who doesn't?)

(2) MissyMoo3 started cruising around furniture a good 6 weeks before she took her first solo steps. The last couple of days beforehand, it was barely her fingertips touching whatever it was she needed to touch at the time to give her the confidence to put one tiny foot in front of the other. It was frustrating, but also exciting, to know that confidence was the only thing standing in her way of letting go.

Early last week, at 13 months, we saw the first two steps. It went something like this: step, step, plonk on bum, look up and smile proudly at audience.

Fast forward a week and last night she toddled the length of the house, from her sister's bedroom at one end to the lounge room on the other.

It's so cute on so many levels.

MissyMoo1 and MissyMoo2 still seem to be amazed and feel the need to, every time they see her, say: "Look mum, she's walking!" in such excited voices that you would think it was the first time they had seen anything of the sort (even though they had the same reaction only 10 seconds earlier).

Toddle. It's such a funny word. And yet, it perfectly describes the movement of MissyMoo3's body as she puts one little foot in front of the other. I had completely forgotten how amazingly cute the first few weeks of walking are. The wobbles; the little legs being so ... little and yet managing to hold up the entire body and move it along; the arms waving in the air to keep balance; the toothy grin (she has 4 teeth now) showing how happy she is to be moving in the same way as her big sisters.

I'm so excited for her. Occasionally, I have pangs of "my baby is growing up" sentiments (usually when I'm cradling her when she's having a bottle), but for the most part, I really enjoy seeing her growing and putting, bit by bit, some distance between us and babyland.

So, given the length-of-house toddle, I think we can safely say that MissyMoo3 is walking now. Does this mean we've reached the cross-over point from baby to toddler? Looking at her, I really think so.

23 comments:

  1. Such an exciting time :) I think Miss A may have graduated to Toddler status.

    Visiting via #iBOT

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohooo walking! defniitely an exciting time!

    #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So exciting, she definitely seems bigger :-)

      Delete
  3. My nearly 13 month old is on the cusp of toddling! While I'm excited for him, a little piece of me isn't yet ready for another toddler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still refer to my 2 year old as a baby sometimes, I must stop. But technically, he is the baby of the family..

    I love the toddles! My 4th was very slow to walk, he was 15months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Miss A will always be my baby. I'm still not quite out of the habit of calling Miss L the baby and she's 3 AND no longer the youngest!

      Delete
  5. Awww I love and miss first toddles - and at the same time, 13 months … it's a little bit of a sad time that they've officially left babyhood behind forever. My biggest first walked with her arms straight up in the air for about 3 months - because we'd been walking her around holding her arms for support while she practiced for so long, she thought that's how it was done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute !!! I loved those first few steps although sometimes find it hard to remember them !!!
    Have the best day !
    Me
    #IBOT visitor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'd forgotten too. I took some video yesterday for posterity :-)

      Delete
  7. My last one walked later than the others too, but being that bit older, she picked it up so much quicker as well.
    It's amazing seeing those first steps. Nothing quite like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Jess, in the last week she has gone from toddling to toddling FAST. She's definitely getting it quicker. So cool.

      Delete
  8. There is nothing sweeter than a babe just learning to walk! Bless x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just beautiful Holly, just as exciting 3rd time around :-)

      Delete
  9. It's so adorable when they start to walk. Summer is standing by herself and Izzy is very excited and doing the same exclaiming, "look mum, Summers standing!". Izzy started at 13 months too! I think Summer will be the same, she just turned 1. Every time I get her to take a step she plonks down on her bum :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cute, Alicia - Summer is not far off her walking either by the sounds of it. And I love your daughters' names :-)

      Delete
  10. How very exciting! I love those moments!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bellissimo, mi hai riportato alla memoria i primi passi dei miei figli e quanto miracoloso sembrava vederli trottare incerti sulle gambette tonde.
    Il mio terzo ha camminato a 18 mesi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si è bellissimo, penso che questa memoria non mi lascia mai!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...