26 January 2013

Cranky rant on what happens to be Australia Day

I thought about not blogging this and just seething about it on the couch.

But then I thought, this is my blog, the primary purpose of which is to aid my memory during these ridiculous, busy, crazy times so I can look back one day from the comfort of my quiet, empty big awesome house (one can dream) with my gin and tonic in hand and remember what life was like back in those ridiculous, busy, crazy times of having young children. I wouldn't be being honest or balanced if I wrote about all the gushy, lovey-dovey stuff and left out the I-just-want-them-to-shut-up stuff.

So here's my cranky rant, inspired by tonight.

For the first time since Christmas, we went to Mass - the MissyMoos just didn't stop. I spent the whole time disciplining them and I'm appalled at their behaviour. Then we got home, MissyMoo3 (16 months) had fallen asleep in the car and I just wanted MissyMoo1 (6) and MissyMoo2 (3) to stay quiet for a few minutes so I could get her in her cot without waking. Do you think they could manage it?

I like going to church. I like bringing the children to that environment, teaching them a little about reverence, respect, helping them to feel comfortable and part of a caring community. I also like quiet time to pray, reflect, give my spirit a little boost. But you can't do that with little kids. All I can manage is a "Give me strength" under my breath and then it's back to the kid wrangling ... quiet kid wrangling ... with an audience. Give me strength.

I'm sick of nice old ladies telling me how lovely my girls are and how fast little ones grow. I know they mean well, I know that for the most part it's true, but at that moment to my mind they were not being lovely and they can't grow fast enough. I'm sure I'll look back and think it went too fast. I'm sure I'll remember this time with rose-coloured glasses. But I'm in the thick of it now and my glasses only have the anti-fog stuff on them, not rose tinting. I know I don't have heaps of kids. Others have more. Others have them closer together. Others have kids with special needs. Others have kids who are more work. But this is me and my experience. Seven years ago, I got pregnant with MissyMoo1. Seven years I've been doing this parenting thing one way or another. Can it please just get a bit easier?!

I'm sick of listening to childless people having fun on the radio - yes triple J hottest 100 party, I mean you. 

triple j logo
image source
You with your party pics and your Twitter hashtags. Thanks for reminding me how I can't do any of that and how I spent the last few hours with ratty children while you were having the time of your lives. I'm turning off the radio.

Now the MissyMoos are in their beds. I gave them quiet cranky instead of shouting cranky and they knew I wasn't joking. I'd better go and kiss them goodnight. Then I'll pour myself a drink. Then I'll sit in silence because I'm not turning the radio on...

17 comments:

  1. Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I've been on my own the entire 7 weeks of school holidays with my two, girl 8 and boy 6 and last night, before their father picked them up for his visit (and me longingly waiting for a 3 day break from them) I couldn't wish them away quick enough. It got me thinking about my 'lot' in life and 'is this as good as it gets'. I was remembering times when I was younger and how much fun it was just to get up and go out with a bunch of friends or stay in with a couple of drinks and play the radio, records or CDs. Its really not nice at all sometimes. Then, all day today, I was smiling thinking about all the funny things my kids had done over the school holidays and then I got to missing them really badly. I remember when my daughter started at the Catholic school and there'd be church services on, I'd take my unruly son and he'd do stuff like pull his nappy off in church or climb onto the font. I just couldn't believe it, especially as I'd had spent such a lot of time in church growing up. I didn't know what else to do. I wish you well Francesca and hope you get that moment when they aren't too bad. I just have to remind myself of it ALL the time.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Anne. Maybe it's so frustrating because they're usually good. We're no strangers there, we go at least monthly and my daughter goes to school there. The older two just bounce off each other at the moment and gee each other up. Thank goodness school goes back next week!

      Delete
    2. Oh, don't I know it Francesca.

      xx

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain. I'm looking at endless FB updates of our child free friends travelling all over Europe and the States, while just a trip to the Sunshine Coast with kids was stressful. I am personally counting down the days until my boys go back to school...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, I see that too. I'm usually very happy with my lot but it must be the end of school holidays or something...

      Delete
  3. I know I was upset that of course the Triple J top ten were played right during the busiest part of the day...bath, cup of milk, books and bed time!
    I was trying to keep an ear out for number one as I rubbed Toddler C's back but of course I missed it!

    Enjoy your silent drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you did!

      Thanks, I enjoyed the drinkie and now I'm calmer. Time for sleep, tomorrow is a new day :-)

      Delete
  4. I really don't want to be another of those "It'll all go so quickly, blah, blah, blah" but today instead of juggling three little ones I played taxi for my 14yr old then joined my brother at the beach with his 6,3 + 1yr kids and my 12 + 10.

    I got sand out of eyes, refereed smashed sand-castles, rescued drenched boys who had strayed too far into the ankle deep surf, mopped up spilt milk-shakes and soothed frayed nerves.

    Then at 8pm my brother (with the little kids) texted me to say all his kids were bathed and sleeping and he was opening a chilled bottle of bubbly with his wife on the deck. I however was still waiting for the text to collect my 14yr old and her friends from the party and couldn't have anything to drink until the car keys were safely returned to the front door table at 10.30pm. And for just a little moment I felt a twinge of jealousy for how things used to be...

    So enjoy your drink. I'll cheers you as I pour mine in a few minutes. If the rain stays off tomorrow I will see you at the park and we can swap my 14, 12 + 10 for your 6, 3 + 1 and we can blast some music at the picnic and make our very own Top Ten!!!

    Deal?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap, did that take me back! When Boy was an itty bitty I knew, JUST KNEW, I'd never have a life again. What had I gotten myself into?! I will refrain from saying anything pithy or encouraging here, except: hang in their, momma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel your pain!
    Kid Wrangling in Mass, with an audience, is not fun. Being told how delightful, beautiful etc they are, when you are inwardly seething at their naughtiness, not fun!
    Pouring a well-earned drink at the end of the night..bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! Sounds like my life, but with two boys (8 + 18mths). CANNOT wait for school on Tuesday, and first day of daycare on the following Monday. My first solo day in 18mths!!!!!!!
    I hope you got your drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Renee, holidays are so over-rated. Enjoy Monday :-)

      Delete
  8. Cara Francesca, come ti capisco! Quando i miei 4 figli erano piccoli non potevo immaginare un giorno in cui avrei avuto una vita 'normale' e nessuno pareva capire la fatica, lo stress, il non poterne più.
    Ma tutto passa, abbi pazienza ancora qualche anno. Poi alla mia età potrai dirti con serenità: è stato uno sforzo enorme, ma ne è valsa la pena.
    Forza cara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie Blandina. Non posso cominciare ad immaginare come hai potuto funzionare con 4! Già lo so che ne è valse la pena e di solito mi piace molto questa età nella nostra vita. Ma ogni tanti ho voglia di gridare!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...