29 January 2013

Day care tripping

Last week, MissyMoo3 (16 months) went to day care for the first time.

I've been back at work since June, but have been lucky enough to have Nonna looking after the two little MissyMoos at my home on those two days per week, so care for the little MissyMoos has been kept in the family. Now that I'm increasing my hours, day care and pre-school are taking care of the extra day.

It's three drop-offs, which will be a juggle. But we're now at the point at which we've tried different types of care at different times and we know what we're most comfortable with at each stage for our kids. So three drop-offs it will be: MissyMoo1 (6) to school, MissyMoo2 (3) to pre-school and MissyMoo3 to day care.

The day care year began last week, so although I wasn't working the extra hours yet, it was the perfect opportunity to send MissyMoo3 for a shorter day to settle her in. It went quite well. MissyMoo3 was smiling when we got there and still smiling when the teachers started talking to her. Having sent both her big sisters there at the same age, I was very comfortable with the surroundings and staff so I quickly signed her in, put her things away and showed her to the table where the other kids were sitting up for their morning tea. She wasn't too interested in the food, but she was interested in the people watching. This distracted her enough for me to stand up and step back. She looked up at me sadly when she realised I'd stepped away, but one of the teachers moved on in and distracted her while I made my escape. I lingered by the front door (out of sight) for a moment, but I didn't hear any crying so I happily walked out.

She had a good day. She got a little upset a couple of times, but was fine after a little cuddle. When we picked her up, she was happily playing outside. As for me, I was fine initially, but I really started missing her in the middle of the day. Even with her two big sisters home, the house still seemed so much quieter without her there.

Her next day will be the real test; dropping her off now that she knows she will be spending all day there. I hope it goes well...

Anyway, all the preparations for my extra work hours are done now. My work from home internet connection is functional, MissyMoo1 is ready for school, MissyMoo2 loved a casual day at pre-school last year and MissyMoo3 has been to day care. All I need to do now is make sure I bring the right files home the night before!


18 comments:

  1. this post makes me tear up. Im sending Z-Boy to family daycare from next monday for the first time. I'm not ready at 18mths but it is unavoidable with uni commitments. I didnt have to send his older brother until he was 3 & we were both 100% ready for that. I guess the consolation is he gets 7weeks to settle one day p/w before it increases to 3 days p/w. Good luck with the 3 x drop-offs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting but nerve racking at the same time. Working more means so much additional organisation. How great is it that you can do some work from home!

    From IBOT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is great that I can work from home. It's such a juggle, though, being organised is the key!

      Delete
  3. I was lucky in that when Toddler C started child care he loved it straight away so I never really worried about him being there...I did start missing him terribly every day at about two o'clock. It seemed my body and my heart could go for five hours without him before I desperately wanted to go and give him a cuddle. After a year at child care, I am over that but the best part of my day is always picking him up and seeing him smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so sweet. It's wonderful that he took to it so quickly :-)

      Delete
  4. You remind me of a juggler - many balls in the air at once and hoping it all lands as per the plan. Good luck I hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not good enough to run away and join the circus, but we manage ok!

      Delete
  5. I am fortunate to have a similar set up to you - 2 days at Nanna's and then one day day care since 18 months - and he has thrived at day care. Hope it all goes well!

    Hello from #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're really lucky to have that family help :-)

      Delete
  6. Ds has been in Daycare since he was 8 weeks old but at the start of last year I took him out. I wasn't happy with the centre he was at and how he was reacting to a place he had been at for 2.5 years. He became withdrawn and screamed every time I even mentioned daycare. I recently put him into another daycare. He screamed the first day I left him there (I could still hear him a block away, it was heart breaking) but he was fine when I got there in the afternoon. He's now made friends and really enjoys going. The night before I tell him he's off to 'school' tomorrow and he gets so excited. He gets to do so much more than I could do with him and for that I am thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tegan, that's awful. Having taken a child to a not so good day care makes you appreciate a gem when you find one. Glad he's happy now :-)

      Delete
  7. It's sure busy time right, I've got school and daycare drop off and am to lug my 16 month old around with me. The juggling act can be very hard and makes for a very busy quick day. Good luck with it all! Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Emily, I hope the first few days of school go well. You'll soon get into the swing of it. The day does go so quickly :-)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you have it all under control - hope it all goes well !
    Have a great week !
    Me
    #IBOT visitor

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fingers and toes crossed that she continues to enjoy it. It makes me all teary to think of her growing up so quickly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not holding my breath for tomorrow, Gina. She's been clingy all week with an explosion of teeth in her mouth right now. I've really noticed just how big she's getting - I'm finally getting that "aww" feeling around new babies again (there have been a few visiting at work lately), but in a cuddle and give back kind of way :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...