22 January 2013

More part-time

Next week sees me increasing my hours of work. I've been working two days per week (15 hours) since I returned from maternity leave in June.

For the most part, I've liked two consecutive days per week. I think for me, it was the perfect way to return to work after having my third child. It gave me ability to concentrate on work at work, and keep up with the momentum of the first day when I continued the following day. It also meant that I still had time at home to keep on top of things with the MissyMoos and the house. Like I said, work works for me.

Although I have found it to be a good way back into the workforce, it has been full-on. As soon as I started back, I hit the ground running on a massive project. I'm still in the midst of it, but even now I look at the sheer volume of work I managed to get done in two days per week over the past few months and it blows my mind. I've tried to get the most out of my time in the office and have often left at the end of the day feeling physically drained because of how hard I had worked during the day. Yeah, it is not physical labour, but the mental energy I used actually physically tired me out.

In two days per week I have felt like I am always rushing, that I don't quite have enough time to achieve what I want to achieve in a given week. I'm not stressed, and I'm well supported with a great boss and team, but I've still felt like there hasn't quite been enough time in the working week.

So next week I begin phase 2: working 20 hours per week. As well as the two days per week in the office, I'll be doing a 5 hour day from home. (My workplace is so flexible and awesome!). It means I'll have a whole school-hours day at home, kiddy-free while the MissyMoos are in school, pre-school and day-care, to concentrate and be productive. It also means that the balance will be changing with less time to do home stuff, so I hope we manage okay. We'll soon find out!

17 comments:

  1. Sending you positive thoughts and wishing you best of luck with the new changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hats off to working mums, I think the balance would be extremely hard! Good luck with the increased hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's a juggle, but I think we're doing the right thing for us.

      Delete
  3. Good luck, I'm hoping that I can get organised this year with No.1 starting school and my younger boys at daycare while I work two days a week. I seriously need to start to get my shit together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, you won't know yourself! Well, it'll just be a new kind of stress. All the best for the first year of school. It's full-on, but amazing how much they learn :-)

      Delete
  4. Good luck. It's great to know you have such a supportive employer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! What do you do for work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I work in superannuation governance - sounds exciting ;-)

      Delete
  6. Sounds super exciting and what a wonderful place to work with all that flexibility and support. fairy wishes and butterfly kisses for a wonderful year ahead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes I've really hit the jackpot there. But you know it goes both ways - if your employer is supportive, employee morale is high and they're more motivated to do a good job :-)

      Delete
  7. Good luck! It sounds like you are pretty organised. I would love to find work that fits with my life. Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Time will tell whether I'm organised. I'm wondering if starting extra hours in the first week of school will be the smartest move, but we'll soon find out :-)

      Delete
  8. I can completely relate to what you're saying. I worked part-time when my kids were little and it was great (because I loved the adult time and time away from being mummy to instead be me - Min) but exhausting!! It was exhausting because I felt I had to prove my worth as a part-timer by working extra extra hard and achieving alot. It was also exhausting because after I left work I had to bolt and rush to pick up children by a certain time. Gradually my part-time hours increased until eventually I was back at work full-time. Full-time work was great - because I had heaps of time to achieve what I wanted at work but not great because I was exhausted when I got home and never had enough time for the kids. It's a very hard thing trying to find that right work/life balance! Good luck! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like the perfect situation for a working mum! I would love to get back in the work force. I just know that I don't want to return to what I did before I had kids. This time I'm going to be picky, so it's going to take a little more time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S Thanks for the Sunshine Award! Will get cracking on that soon! :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...