12 January 2013

Too Close for Comfort - Clare Dowling


I bought this a few months ago from a bargain bin at a newsagency. I was initially attracted to the bright cover (shallow, I know). But more than that, when I read it was about two sisters, I decided to give it a go. I have one sister (no brothers), my daughters each have two sisters (no brothers), and the main character in my unfinished-first-draft-of-a-novel-I've-been-working-on-for-three-years has a sister (no brothers).

I'm always intrigued by sibling relationships - they can seem to differ so much between families sometimes or even at different stages in life in the same family, while still being fundamentally the same across the board in other ways. This book reflected that well.

Don't you love a book which, when you put it down part of the way through, you still can't stop thinking about the characters and wondering what will happen next? This was one of those books for me. Thankfully, I didn't have to wait too long as I was able to read it in a couple of days.

I'm very happy that this was my first book for the year. My 2013 reading has gotten off to a great start courtesy of a lovely book

And without even realising it (I didn't read the small writing at the top when I bought it), I bought an Irish book. One of MissyMoo3's (15 months) Godmothers is Irish and the other is part-Irish. I have also recently befriended a newly-arrived Irish woman at my daughter's school. Maybe my 7th-generation, 2nd fleet arrival Irish blood is coursing through my veins with renewed vigour. To be sure!!

Book: Paperback. I own it - purchased from a newsagency.
Rating: I gave this 3 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: I'm very happy that this was my first book for the year. My reading has gotten off to a great start courtesy of a lovely book.

3 comments:

  1. Will add it to my list! Have read others by this author and enjoyed them.
    As a sister I am also intrigued by the nuances of the sister relationships around me, and love watching and hearing how those relationships change with years, life experiences etc....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'll have to look it up. It's the kind of cover I'd have picked up too. Must see if I can get the kindle version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the Old Ducks should have this one down as a lighter choice. To be sure, to be sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...