01 February 2013

What? 1993 was 20 years ago?

The other night I was watching a movie which was made in 1993.

I thought nothing of it, until I noticed a couple of actors I recognised in it  - they looked so young. I then got to wondering, just how long ago was this movie made?

20 years.

No way. I remember 1993. That was the year I started high school. That can't have been 20 years ago.

But it was. 

20 years ago, I felt so big - the eldest child in the family entering the next stage of schooling where teenagering awaited. 
20 years ago, I felt so small - a child surrounded by women.
20 years ago, I stepped into the orange carpeted corridors of the place which was to be like a second home for six years, wide-eyed, excited, nervous. 
20 years ago, I began a journey as a shy, quiet little girl to emerge six years later as a competent, confident young lady. 

Sometimes I still miss my hometown. The place and time I remember most vividly from living there is high school. I catch myself being a little nostalgic about it at times. But the realisation that this phase started 20 years ago made me stop and take note of how far removed I now am from that time in my life. I obviously know that I am far removed from the high school years - I've been to uni, started a career, gotten married, had three kids and I live in a different place now - but being in touch with a lot of schoolfriends through Facebook and seeing what they're up to in their everyday lives sometimes brings with it a kind of artificial proximity. 

But 20 years?
I felt old.
When I was younger, only older people said "That was 20 years ago". 
Now I'm one of them :-)

22 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. The older I get the quicker the time seems to fly. It's scary really. Even the year 2013 mystifies me. It should only be 2003!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Francesca! I had a similar realisation last year, when speaking with a friend's daughter about year twelve. I described some of the rules that applied and she was surprised. Then I rolled out "and that was only 1995". Deathly silence. She was polite enough not to point out that she wasn't born yet - I realised that in the awkward quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. 20 years ago was 1993. That can't be right!
    That was the year I got married. Seems like I have a big anniversary coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - I know that feeling so well !!!! 20 years ago my baby turned 1 (which, funnily enough means she is turning 12 this year !!) - how did I get older enough to have to be organising a 21st birthday for my child ?????
    Have a great day anyway !!
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the little things that show us time passing kids, movies, music - I was working in my career 20 yrs ago I'm really not that old, I started work at 10......eeek (not), now you are making me feel very, very old! I was the librarian working with teenagers, trying to make them see libraries as interesting places, not full of old fogies!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Now I feel OLD. I FINISHED high school in 1992. A year before you STARTED!

    Sigh. I miss my youth. I always find it weird that in some ways, I don't feel that much older.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally get that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol! I know exactly what you mean! I beginning High School then too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Argh! I started feeling REALLY old when the BABIES I used to look after started graduating high school...then having their 21st/22nd birthdays :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started High School in 1983 - I'm kind of glad it was 30 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, I'm with you!!! I was typing someones details at work the other day and their title was DR and their birthday was in the late 80's. My initial thought was "Well that must be an error".... *sigh* I think I may be stuck somewhere back in the late eighties :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh I was separating from my ex husband in 1993... now I feel old! Thanks Francesca. ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely agree.
    My younger sister was born in 1983 and for me that seems like the last year that someone could possibly be born...it blows my mind that some of the girls I work with were born in 1990! I feel like they should still be ten years old!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If it makes you feel any better then I was nearly finished high school by then Francesca! But I do know what you mean, I still feel like I'm 18 sometimes! :) Emily

    ReplyDelete
  15. You feel old?!!! I was finishing uni in 1993! I'm still grappling with the fact that it's 2013. My personal trainer turned 24 the other day. I told him I was turning the same this year, just swap the digits around :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Orange Carpet :) What a great place our school was! I only have good memories of high school. I miss home too. 19 years for me this year x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know exactly what you mean! Huns and I were talking about it the other day, and he didn't believe me that the year 2000 was 13 years ago! It sure doesn't feel like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had this same thought watching forest Gump, it still seems like it was just released to me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mi hai fatto proprio sorridere, io nel 1993 ho avuto la mia ultima figlia...
    Dire: 20 anni fa è niente, vedrai quando dirai 30 oppure 40 o addirittura 50 anni fa...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Totally understand what you mean... 20 years ago, I did not even think that Australia could be a country I would see one day... And now, I'm living there...

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL - in 1993 I had already been out of school for 10 years and married for 6 years !!! Now I am feeling REALLY old !!!!
    Hope your weekend is a fantastic one !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is amazing what happens in a time frame that sometimes seems like only yesterday. 20 years is such a long time. I was a baby, not quite, but not that much older.... xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...