22 March 2013

All in good time

This post first appeared as my March 2013 contribution to Aussie Mum Network.

****************************************************


Time.

It’s a funny thing. It can fly. It can stand still. It can be given. It can be taken. We can have enough of it. Or not.

But one thing is for sure: unless you are Doc Brown or Marty McFly, you can’t get it back (even Dr Who has his own timeline). I have been thinking a lot about this recently.

There is nothing like watching your children grow for a stark – and sometimes confronting – demonstration of the passage of time. Seeing a younger child reach a milestone which an older child achieved seemingly only five minutes earlier can lead us to ask: “Where did the time go?” There is nothing like rushing from A to B, to C, to D, then back to B, over to C and across to E with a carload of kids, to stir an enquiring mind to assess whether time could be used more effectively.

Our perception of time is fluid, and no matter how differently we view it at different periods in our lives, the certainty is that we only have a finite amount of it. I am learning that I want to make the most of it. But “make the most of it” does not have the same meaning all the time. There is nothing wrong with reassessing your life on a regular basis – priorities, contributors to happiness, contributors to stress – and making those adjustments which are needed to keep things on track. Sometimes little tweaks are all that are needed; sometimes a major change could be on the way. Whatever the case may be, this is our time; it is up to us what we do with it.



13 comments:

  1. The past 8.5 months have flown. Wasn't I just pregnant and we were putting the cot together? Now we're lowering it. Eep!
    Reassessing and adjusting is good I agree.
    Mez xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It flies, doesn't it. My baby is 18 months next week and it's blowing my mind!

      Delete
  2. Well written. Time is the one thing we can never get back, and I'm glad I invested a few minutes of my day in reading your blog :)
    FYBF

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been spending quite a bit of time pondering the notion of time myself. I was becoming frustrated with being told that 'time heals all wounds'. It just didn't sit right with me. Then I heard (?) / read (?) somewhere that while time may be a necessary element in the equation, it does not heal, it can not heal, only we can do that.
    I think we give a lot of credit {and criticism} to the idea of time when, as you have pointed out, much of it is in our own control.
    Thanks to you for allowing me to think, and reflect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's true, Bec, it takes more than just time, we need to want to heal too.

      Thanks so much for your comment :-)

      Delete
  4. I have been thinking about time a lot myself since my eldest turned 10. It's such a huge milestone for me in terms of my journey as a mother it's made me really reflect on what I've done in the past and what I'd like to do differently in the future.
    The funny part is the boy in question stopped thinking about it the moment his birthday party was finished!! Gotta love them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing. Don't you love it how kids just live in the moment?

      Delete
  5. Lovely post. I think that notion of reassessing is an important point to grasp as time rolls on. We work towards certain goals, but it's useful to stop midway along the path and figure out if you're still heading where you really want to go. Kids help me appreciate the finite and the infinite possibilities (if that makes sense...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes perfect sense, Lara. I feel like the past 6 months or so, I have spend so much time assessing and reassessing, just trying to keep things functioning. But it's necessary.

      Delete
  6. One way or another it is a limited resource and something we should value.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lately it has become all too apparent to me that my baby is in fact a little boy...I think the fact that he is starting to string words together is what is making it really hit him that he is growing up.
    And I of course ask where has the time gone.
    And I then remember to cherish every moment because they do go by so quickly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...