05 March 2013

French Knitting

MissyMoo1 (6) asked me to teach her how to knit.

Perhaps it's wisdom, perhaps it's a distinct lack of courage, but I decided that knitting with two needles was not something I was prepared to attempt to teach my six-year-old just yet. I vaguely recalled having attempted French knitting at a young age, so I decided to do what everyone does to re-learn a skill: I Googled it.

The Kidspot website has instructions on how to make a French knitting "machine", as we're calling it, and how to do the knitting too.

So, while the MissyMoos were crafting on the weekend, I got to work too.

All set up and ready to go
Stick paddle pop sticks around a toilet roll
Littlest Petshop contact around the outside
Once the "machine" was done, it was time to get knitting.

I'm so proud of MissyMoo1 (6). She concentrated, listened and showed patience when things didn't quite work out the first time.


She persevered, and after a couple of hours, she had come up with this:

A present for her Daddy, as Hubby had a sore throat
It's amazing how quickly she picked it up. It is just reinforcing to me how good it will be for me to spend more time teaching my children some more of the things I've learnt how to do.


17 comments:

  1. That is a great idea, so simple and give them a great sense of achievement. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loved having something to show for her efforts :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh what a cool idea! I remember having a plastic one of those back in ancient times, but I'd never thought of making one. That's the Easter holidays sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as long as you can keep your boy away from the ball of wool!

      Delete
  3. I remember doing French knitting when I was a kid, I loved it! I am definitely gonna have to remember that for Mia in a few years.

    #teamIBOT was here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had completely forgotten about it. I hadn't done it since primary school. Gotta love a Google search!

      Delete
  4. She must have been so proud when she finished!
    What a great activity...I will have to remember this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My miss8 loves to finger knit. They did it as an extra curricular lunchtime club at school last year and we went out and bought a 'machine', your diy version is great. I could have saved myself some dollars! Might make one for Mr nearly 5 and see how he goes, perhaps teach him some patience and perseverance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. Miss E hasn't come across it at lunch club yet, but who knows, it might end up making an appearance at her request!

      Delete
  6. Oh that's an awesome idea! I should totally try this with my girls. Thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I'm sure they'll love it :-)

      Delete
  7. That is just fantastic, what a great mumma you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done to her! What a good idea to make the knitting bee rather than buying it! I will share your post on Facebook with my tutorial on French knitting later on today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally forgot to do it... Sorry, but just did it now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...