29 March 2013

I've written my book - now what?

After my rather rushed announcement on Tuesday morning that my book was finished, I soon began turning my mind to what I will do about it.

As soon as it was done, I sent it to the Old Ducks, Nonna and Gran to have a look at. Early feedback is positive from two of the Old Ducks I ran into last night. So I'm cautiously optimistic that it might be readable!

I'm simultaneously researching submitting manuscripts to publishers and self-publishing. So much new terminology: synopsis, ISBN, legal deposit, ePub, MOBI. I am beginning to form a view as to how to approach things, which I'll share with you once I've given it a bit more thought.

Tonight I have learnt all about how to write a synopsis. I've made a start on my first attempt at one (how tentative does that sound?!). This is something I will not be sharing with you, as my research informs me that a synopsis must give away the ending so the publisher has an idea of whether it would be worthwhile going ahead with the manuscript. I will NOT be telling you the ending. It's too awesome. You'll just have to buy the book (when I manage to publish it!). What I will tell you is that one of the publishers wants a synopsis of no more than 300 words. Cool, short and sweet - I get it. They're busy, they get a lot of submissions, they don't want to waste their time on a wordy synopsis. But my book is 74,460 words and they want a run-down of the main characters, conflict and ending in 300 words? Right, bear with me as I locate my magic wand...

I'm excited and impatient to get things moving, but at the same time, I don't want to jump the gun, do things hastily and potentially make wrong decisions (on big things and little things). So it turns out that writing a book is not the only process; doing something with it is a process of its own. And lucky you, you get to see it unfold. I love me a bit of blog fodder.

What I really need to do first up is be methodical. I need to put together a plan, a strategy, if you like. Then I'll be able to navigate my way through what needs to happen and when in order to achieve my goals. Well, first I should probably set some goals...

My first goal is to get some sleep. Nighty night :-)




2 comments:

  1. Congrats - what a milestone! I hope that it is everything you wanted it to be and more. And that you get rave reviews and little editing to do on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. It will be interesting to hear what people think of it once they've read it!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...