19 April 2013

Back from bloggy bedrest

It does not feel like less than a week since my computer called it a day. It's amazing how much we rely on them, well, how much I rely on them. Not having an operational home computer during the week was a huge disruption for me - not only for my blogging, but also in "real life", as I work from home one day per week. I couldn't do that this week. Luckily for me, as we're in school holidays there was no afternoon bus stop pick up and Hubby is on leave so I was able to go into the office.

Yesterday afternoon we bought a new computer. Last night, Hubby set it all up. I'm still getting used to navigating my way around Windows 8, but so far so good. So good. In the words of Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, as paraphrased by MissyMoo1 (6), "this is king awesome!"

Source
We got a good deal, it all seems to be working (fingers crossed) and now I can get back to blogging and editing my manuscript.

There's so much I could say, but earlier in the week, I got all keen and hand-wrote a blog post, so I'll let earlier-in-the-week-Francesca tell you all about it:

My blog is having an enforced period of rest, as my computer is not working at the moment. Therefore, until a new computer is purchased and set up, blogging ceases.

As far as timing goes, it's not all bad. I've been noticing a pattern with my blogging in that following a flurry of activity and inspiration, there generally comes a rut. Lately, the blog hasn't been receiving the attention I'd like to give it in order to produce some quality writing. Granted, I've been directing my efforts elsewhere, getting my book finished and edited, and there's only so much of me to go around. But I find that the less time and effort I spend on the blog, the fewer ideas I have regarding what to write on it.

It's a vicious cycle.

Lately, my blogging has felt stagnant. Monday is my only weekday at home with the little Missy Moos without any major time commitments, so I generally spend my Mondays doing housework and playing with the MissyMoos. Occasionally (it feels), I'll prepare a blog post for ibot (although, the last two Mondays', I've been cleaning up vomit). Tuesday = occasional ibot link-up in the mad rush before heading off to work for the day; Wednesday = link up with Wordless Wednesday before work if I can find a decent photo; Thursday = finding something to be thankful for; Friday, I flog and flash - something I've already posted earlier in the week if I'm lazy busy; Sunday, it's "My week in bullet points".

Repeat.

At the beginning of the week, I thought I would be facing the same routine.

But then the computer died. So I have no opportunity to blog. Yes, I have my smartphone and I've blogged on it before, but I'm not doing that again - give me a keyboard any day. Yes, I have access to a computer at work, but I have (so much) work to do there and a good work ethic, so blogging at work does not and will not happen.

What does the word "blog" mean? It is an abbreviation of "web log". So what do I do without the web? I simply log. I am writing this "post" in my little notebook.

It sounds like a contradiction, but not having access to a computer is rejuvenating my blogging. Having distance from the shackles of my blogging routine has been inspiring. Being blocked from the ability to publish blog posts has unblocked my mind and allowed the free-flowing of ideas. I had ideas for four blog posts just today!

So there you have it people, my voice from the past. It's good to be back :-)

16 comments:

  1. Sometimes the words flow better during a forced separation as such! I know both my blogging and writing does.
    And PS I'm envious of your new computer. I would love one! (A Macbook Air, read as: never going to happen!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jodi, I think I might have to force the tech separation myself sometimes. I still love a pen and paper! Hope you get that computer one day :-)

      Delete
  2. I used to love hand writing in journals but now my writing has got so bad because I type everything, I don't know if I wrote a blog post if I would be able to transcribe it at a later date.
    Have a great Friday evening !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My handwriting is definitely not as good as it used to be.

      Hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. How very retro of you to head back to the paper and pen :) I'm glad you have the new one up and running. I must say, my exploding blog issues this week made me re-evaluate my blog too. After major technical issues it has taken literally days to reinstall everything. Each step of the way I was thinking 'Why am I doing this? Is anyone even reading it?' But, like you, I blog on! Hope next week is great for you and your kind awesome computer x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw something about that when I was checking facebook or twitter on my phone through the week. Did you ever figure out how it happened?

      It can be so easy to wonder whether it's all worth the effort sometimes. But blog on, I'm reading it!

      Delete
  4. I would be lost without my computer! Well done for surviving and for finding a way to rejuvenate your blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, thank goodness for social media phone apps so I wasn't completely out of the loop!

      Delete
  5. I would not be able to last a week without my computer. Mostly because I work from home fulltime, tied to my computer for about 6 hours a day. Although I relish those rare occasions when I get away from the laptop and the internet for a few days. It's nice to have a bit of 'down time', even if it is forced. Enjoy your new computer. New anything is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a major issue for you!

      New anything is definitely awesome - I'm loving it :-)

      Delete
  6. Welcome back!
    I would be totally lost without my computer and without the Internet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm so glad I still had my smartphone so I wasn't going into complete withdrawals!

      Delete
  7. It would be panic stations around here without a computer, as that's how I do my paid work from home! But I reckon it doesn't hurt to have a break from blogging links and ties. Life is so busy that finding time to comment is my biggest problem, but when I do make time to read, like I have this arvo, I really enjoy it! Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was panicking a bit, but it all ended well. I think a blogging break can be a good thing, however brief :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...