27 April 2013

Virtual Vodka Night - Aah, the Memories

I was recently tidying the computer desk when I came across some notes I'd made during the Virtual Vodka Night Twitter Party back in February. I took a few notes at the time, thinking that I might write a "de-brief" post. Well, two months down the track, I finally got my act together!

It was a mother of a party,  and by that, I mean an ideal party for mothers. Scheduled to begin shortly after the MissyMoos' bedtime, there were no babysitters required and I could party in my pjs.

We had 13 people, including myself, drop in at one time or another and use the hashtag. Someone invited Bondi Vet, but he was a no show. We were inclusive, too. We didn't discriminate. Non-vodka drinkers, and in fact non-alcohol drinkers, joined in to help us celebrate.

My drink of choice was vodka (of course):


Anyone heard of whipped cream vodka? Neither had I. Virtual Vodka Night was an educational experience.

Not only did we learn about whipped cream vodka, we also learned many fun facts about vodka. Yes, it was a scientific party.

I also learned a bit about Twitter. I discovered that there is a maximum number of daily tweets. In fact, I got booted out of my own party when I reached it and could tweet no longer. I direct-messaged the stayers to explain why I was giving them the silent treatment. Luckily, it was late anyway, so it wasn't too disappointing.

Another thing I learned was to be clever about the hashtag. A few of us (not the host, surely!) got confused and started using the wrong hashtag part of the way through. How are you going to get #virtualvodkanight to trend when you're typing #virtualvodkaparty? Also, while we're learning about Twitter, another lesson is to be efficient with characters in your hashtag - it leaves more room for actual tweeting. Maybe we should have had #vvn - short and mysterious...

It was great fun and I'd do it again. Care to join me?

8 comments:

  1. I had a fantastic time! It was my first twitter party and it was awesome! I learnt alot too! Thank you for hosting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first Twitter party too! I'll have to come up with an excuse, um I mean occasion, for another one soon :-)

      Delete
  2. I too was a twitter party newbie and it was a great experience! I learned a lot about how to follow various threads at once - though I'm not sure I was always successful. It's a chaotic way to chat, but then that's kind of part of the fun. Thanks for being a delightful host Francesca!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was chaotic, wasn't it?! Yes, lots of fun. We need another excuse. I have a birthday in a few weeks ;-)

      Delete
  3. For sure - it was a GREAT evening - can't wait for the next one !!!! Maybe I could host one seeing as I am going to be alone for many nights - just as soon as I get K's 21st out the way !!
    Have the best day !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, sounds like a plan. Good luck with the 21st!

      Delete
  4. Love to join you next time! I didn't know there are a maximum number of daily tweets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be on again soon Rita - watch this space!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...