16 May 2013

Mind Ahead of Mouth

A shy and quiet 11-year-old decided to try out for the Year 7 debating team. She did not know it then, but one of the lessons she would learn through that experience would remain with her for the next twenty years and beyond.

Mind ahead of mouth.

Evolving from memorising speeches to just plain speaking, guided by a few dot points on a card, all within a few short years.

Mind ahead of mouth.

Constructing sentences in a foreign language exam, or in a long distance telephone call with a loved one, knowing delay meant only detriment and confusion. What gender is this noun? Where do I place the adjective?

Mind ahead of mouth.

Trembling voice, sweaty palms, mock court appearances in front of a lawyer pretending to be a judge and living out his own fantasy of a position of power in a court room, holding the power of pass or fail.

Mind ahead of mouth.

A difficult conversation with a loved one.

Mind ahead of mouth.

Presenting a training seminar to peers in a corporate setting.

Mind ahead of mouth.



Today I am thankful to my Year 7 debating coach, whose advice has benefited me on countless occasions.




Linking up for Thankful Thursday with Six by the Bay:

Six By The Bay

2 comments:

  1. I admire anyone who can stand up on front of others and talk. I am so shy and I really wish I wasn't. Once I get to know you, I will talk the hind leg off a donkey but until then, I will sit quietly in the corner and hope that nobody sees me !!!!
    Well done and good work by your year 7 debating coach !!!
    Have the best day !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fairly quiet and not terribly outgoing in some conversations - it depends on the setting. But with public speaking, I'm fine - must be the training":-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...