20 May 2013

Mini Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella

Source
This is the first book I've read by Sophie Kinsella. It is the sixth book in the Confessions of a Shopaholic series of books. I saw the movie of "Confessions of a Shopaholic" starring Isla Fisher a couple of years ago, so I was familiar with some of the characters from that. Had I realised when I borrowed it that it was the sixth book, the ordered side of my personality would have much preferred to have read the previous five novels before embarking on the sixth. Having said that, I don't think I lost too much from reading the book in isolation.

I was irritated by the main character in parts. She came across as annoying and unbelievable - a caricature rather than a character - more so in print than I had felt when I watched the movie (a different story though, obviously). There were times when I became exasperated with her to the point of not even wanting to pick the book up again for a day or two. Having said that, I think this such a strength of Sophie Kinsella's writing (what little I've read of it anyway!). Her characters - the protagonist in particular - got under my skin. Even though some of the story line and some of the characters seemed too much almost to the point of being ridiculous, I could almost anticipate the types of things they would do and say because of how their traits and actions were so well described. The fact that they got under my skin is a tribute to the writing.

I really liked the twists and turns the story took and how so many little bits and pieces were tied in together towards the end of the book.

On reflection, it was a good read and I'd like to read more by Sophie Kinsella - but maybe something other than the shopaholic series!

Book: Paperback. Borrowed from my local library.
Rating: I've given this 3 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: Becky is so annoying! But it is so well written - the characters got under my skin (for better or worse!) and there were some great twists.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, that is exactly how I feel about Becky in the Shopaholic series! BTW the movie just felt all wrong after reading the books.

    I much preferred "Twenties Girl" and "The Undomesticated Goddess" which Sophie has also written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet, I'll have to look those up :-)

      Delete
  2. I've read a few in this series, however, not this title. I find that I get extremely frustrated with the protagonist, almost stressed by the situations she finds herself in, don't want to read anymore of the story, but Kinsella's writing draws me back in!

    Sophie Kinsella also writes as Madeline Wickham and I would recommend reading some of her titles (in your enormous amounts of free time). I found the premise, characters and settings a little more relaxing in the Wickham novels, yet the writing still as clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw her other pen name recently on the internet when I was looking her up. I'll have to try one of those books, thanks. I did find this particular book made me a bit stressed in parts!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...