21 May 2013

Oh Spam, How I've Missed You!

I often read of bloggers complaining about spam. I see their point - I mean, it can be irritating to manage if the volume of spam comments is high and it can detract from comments made by people who actually read the blog post and comment in response to it.

I have always moderated comments on my blog, which means I receive an email when a comment has been made and I choose whether it is published, deleted or marked as spam. The first time my blog was in receipt of a spam comment about a year ago, I was a little confused. The comment was asking me which blog platform I used. Considering Blogger's logo appears on the blog and "blogspot" is in the web address, I didn't think it was a question a supposed fellow blogger would need to ask. It took me a moment to realise that my humble blog was being introduced to the world of spam.

And what a glorious world it is!

In a twisted way, receiving my first spam comment made me feel like I'd made it as a blogger. Once that first comment broke in, the floodgates opened. (Please note, in the comments I have reproduced below, I have remained true to their spelling and punctuation for the full effect!)

Most comments are funny - general in nature, they attempt to flatter the blogger into clicking on their website's link:
  • Hello, yes this piece of writing is truly good and I have learned a lot of things from it regarding blogging. thanks. Have a look at my site. Oh, thanks ... hang on...
  • Hello, this weekend is nice for me, as this point in time I am reading this great informative post here at my residence. Good for you.
  • If someone desires expert view on the topic of blogging then I propose him/her to go see this website. Keep up the pleasant job. I know you didn't read it, but thank you, I will.
Then there are the comments which try to trick you into thinking they aren't spam ... but then they give themselves away:
  • I hardly leave comments, but I did a few searching and wound up here "Product Review: Personal Planner". And I do have 2 questions for you if it's allright. Could it be only me or does it appear like a few of the responses look like they are written by brain dead people? Right, I followed you in the first sentence, but I had to read that last bit twice. WTF? (And no Phil Dunphy, I don't mean "Why the face?")
  • Wow that was odd. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrr...well I'm not writing that all over again. Anyway, just wanted to say wonderful blog! My web page - make money online. This was so realistic ... until the last bit.
Some are just plain weird:
  • Yes! Finally something about antalya property. Also visit my blog. Can't say I've ever blogged about that...
  • You cannot ascendance what your assigned the Part full of life Records to keep full of life records, one cannot in reality call for certifiable copies of sequestration Rule. Yeah, what he said.
  • The application of this cream comes with no side effects whatsoever. Okaaay. I'll take your word for it.
  • What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable experience about unpredicted feelings. Feel free to surf my web page. Or not.
Recently the spam has slowed right down. Perhaps I've been blogging less, linking up less with other blogs, putting less popular terms in my headings, who knows? But a couple of days ago I had my first "Anonymous" comment in weeks, quickly followed by another, then another. And it brought a smile to my face. The blog's still got it, baby :-)

    27 comments:

    1. I have recently been getting more anonymous comments - at first I didn't realise it was spam until I read a couple of them and, for the life of me, couldn't work out what they were trying to say. I think I deleted the e-mail but probably should go back and delete the comment on my blog.
      Have the best week !
      Me
      PS did you enjoy the rest of the Eurovision shows ?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I know, I had no idea what it was at first.

        I though the second semi was better than the first - I loved it. Looking forward to buying the CD! Glad you gave it a go ;-)

        Delete
    2. I just typed a really long comment and I'm not typing it again...grr. ;)

      ReplyDelete
    3. D'oh! left off the come and look at my page...heehee

      ReplyDelete
    4. On different spam, I keep getting this email that's really long from a woman ewho thinks we met on Facebook but happens to be moving near me and happens to be a sexy naked webcam chick with a free code to give me cos she always wanted to hook up with me but we were seeing other people at the time, and she and her sexy stripper girlfriend are moving into my neighbourhood and will need my help to meet people...Like does that really work on anyone???? It definitely not working on this old lady...

      ReplyDelete
    5. Groan, the spamming has revved right up for me lately. I didn't mind when it was only a few a day, but I was getting 50+ per day as at last week. I wouldn't mind so much if the amount of genuine comments matched the amount of spammed comments! Im using word verification at them moment which I know annoys commenters but its completely stopped the spam for a bit.

      By the way...superbly written though your normalty is, trend setting is more your day. And check out my blog.

      Hehe.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Wow, I think 50+ per day would annoy me - I'd have to change my email notification settings. Blogger has cottoned on now and automatically classes some of them as spam.

        Thanks for your comment :-)

        Delete
    6. Ha...I used to get a kick out of spam too...and then I started to get a lot of x-rated spam and it was sneaking through the filters and on to the blog...which I think brought even more spam..and finally I couldn't take it any more and blocked it!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh Caitlin, that's a bit much, poor you!

        Delete
    7. My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different website and thought I might check things out.
      I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to looking over your web page for a second time.

      My page; pay day loans

      ReplyDelete
    8. Oh yes. Some of it makes me laugh, but mostly it just annoys the crap out of me.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Haha, I suppose it depends on how much you get :-)

        Delete
    9. Hee hee, some of my spam comments are SOO awesome and complimentary! Great post! Em xx

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh I know Em, I'll take all the flattery I can get!

        Delete
    10. I gotta say, thats a really excellent way to look at spam. I was getting so much spam it wasn't funny, at least 10 a day so I have the highest settings on Disqus now and turned off anon comments through blogger. Which is I think part of the reason why some people are struggling to comment on my blog which is a shame, but not having to deal with the spam makes up for it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I do have trouble commenting on your blog, but the beauty of that is that I can always leave a comment on your Facebook & you still get to control your spam :-)

        Delete
    11. I'm not sure exactly why but this site is loading incredibly slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end? I'll
      check back later on and see if the problem still exists.


      My homepage weight loss pills celebrities take

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, Anonymous, check back later, you do that :-)

        Delete
    12. Some of them are hilarious, and some seem so realistic, until the end for sure!! But, of course very frustrating having to go through and mark them all as Spam!! Love the comment above!! Hilarious! x Karen #TeamIBOT

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I laughed when I got those spam comments to the post on spam - I just had to publish them!

        Delete
    13. The spam comments start our flattering you then suddenly... a link. I tend to not approve anything that is posted by "Anonymous" that ends with a link.

      ReplyDelete
    14. Ah, yes! Those stupid spam comments! Love the ones that are in Russian! They always make me wonder...

      ReplyDelete
    15. I've been getting stacks of spam recently, but luckily they go straight to the spam folder.
      I can't help checking them just in case a real comment slips through. :)

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...