11 June 2013

Beautiful You

A friend at work recently pointed me to this You Tube clip.
 
Disclosure: This video was made by Dove. My blog post has not been sponsored by Dove in any way - I am just writing my personal response to viewing it.
 
 
 

In the clip, an artist draws two pictures of each woman: the first picture is based on the way the woman describes herself; the second is based on a description given by another person.

When the women described themselves, they seemed to place more emphasis on their faults, with the result that their features were portrayed as more severe in the artist's impression. When the women were being described by another person, somebody they had chatted with prior to the exercise, the result was a softer sketch with gentler features.

This goes to the heart of the mismatch between how you see yourself versus how others see you.

In the clip, this tension is demonstrated through physical descriptions, manifested through the artist's interpretation of what is said to him.

But this idea is not limited to physical appearance.

The same concept can apply more broadly, to how we view ourselves as people. I know for myself that I can be my own worst enemy. On a bad day, my impression of myself and of things around me can be quite far removed from reality. Sometimes we concentrate so hard on fixing our perceived faults - be it in ourselves or in our surroundings - that we can lose sight of context and perspective.

Something like this clip is a refreshing reminder that if we switch our focus, we might be pleasantly surprised. I have been making a conscious effort to do this recently - looking more for the positive in things and giving less attention to the negative. And I can safely say that it is contributing to my happiness.

 :-))

 (Big smiley face, see, EXTRA happy)

  

10 comments:

  1. Yes!! I totally agree, it is so refreshing to start thinking of the positives about yourself, hard though! It frustrates me when I give people compliments and they can't even accept them because they are so focused on the negatives... x Karen #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can be really challenging, but worth it when we can :-)

      Delete
  2. I used to be my own worst enemy but now I am working hard on trying to see the good in me. I am so glad that you are seeing your value now xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful that you're doing that, good on you :-)

      Delete
  3. I do love this - I've seen it before! Wouldn't it be nice if we could all just love and adore ourselves for who we are, and what we look like! Em x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It absolutely would be, Em :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh that was awesome!!! Amazing what we see compared to how others see us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing to compare the difference in the portraits - I couldn't believe it.

      Delete
  5. I have been thinking of this a lot of late. Well not quite in this way but have been wondering lately just how is it that people see me compared to the impression I think I am leaving.
    Fairy wishes and butterfly kisses lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing Rhianna and this kind of stems from that in a way.

      Thanks for commenting :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...