18 June 2013

Diary of a SAHM - Jess Newman

Last week, I arrived home from a long day at the office, feeling drained. There was a parcel waiting for me as I entered the house. Upon opening it, I saw this:

Image source
Excitement revealed the energy which I thought had been sapped under corporate fluorescent lights. The first opportunity I got, I discarded this month's Old Ducks Book Club book from my bedside table and got to reading this instead. This is the first book I have read by someone I "know" (yes, I'm using the term rather loosely, but interacting in blogland is a type of knowing!) :-)

I loved it.

I'll tell you why I loved it. It is meaningful (on both parenting and Christian faith levels) without being overly preachy (although I'm probably more religious than some, I'm not really into being "preached at"). It tackles important matters of the heart - topics in diary form. It is clever. It is honest. It is fun. Jess stays true to her quirky writing style throughout.

I'll be honest and say that this is not everyone's cup of tea. Jess has said this herself. But I found it enjoyable to read. I also found it affirming. Obviously everyone differs in their parenting styles and beliefs - I also differ with Jess on some aspects - but I found it heartening that my reasons for doing what I do in my life, my attempts to be the best person I can be, are shared.

Great work, Jess :-)

Book: Paperback. Purchased from www.essentiallyjess.com
Rating: 4 stars
One-liner: First book I've read where I "know" the author. Awesome!

14 comments:

  1. I was so excited to read it for that very same reason Francesca, so excited to know the author. I couldn't put it down until I had finished it. It really is such a great read in many ways

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ho exciting to read a book written by someone you know !!! I proof read/edited a book for someone I met on-line and I have to say I was very excited to see it in print !!
    Have the best week !
    Me
    PS - Are you up for another #vvnow night ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that would have been so exciting!

      I've (finally) replied to your email re #vvow

      xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely review Francesca. One of the things I enjoy most about blogging is reading such a wide range of perspectives on parenting, and life in general. Jess' book obviously gives her a chance to elaborate on her personal philosophies. The cover is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cute illustrations match well with the style of writing, I think :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm going to have to read it one day for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add it to the growing "to read" list :-)

      Delete
  5. Great review, I might just add that to my 'to-read' list. (It's a looooong list!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I have my copy sitting on my bed side table - can't wait to get stuck into it!
    Josefa from #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed it Francesca! I'm so relieved to hear that it's not overly preachy. That definitely wasn't my intent, and I'm glad it came through. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great, Jess. So easy-going but with great messages. I wish you every success :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...