13 June 2013

Slow Cooker Deliciousness

You might know that Thursdays are a little busy here in "casa di Francesca". I prepare my Thankful Thursday post on a Wednesday night and schedule it to publish Thursday mornings. And dinner? Well, up until recently dinner was thrown together in my lunch break and cooked up quickly after the marathon after school pick-up and homework duties were sorted.

I say "up until recently" because a little while ago, Nonna put this into my hot little hands:

It didn't have food in it when she gave it to me - I added that later.


I'd never used a slow cooker before. I'd heard about how wonderful they are - before everyone got obsessed with Thermomixes (another thing I'm behind the eight-ball on), slow cookers were all the rage. Apparently you could put a bunch of stuff in one in the morning and leave it cooking all day to find dinner ready at the appropriate time - imagine!

I'll admit that I was nervous with my newly acquired contraption. I approached it cautiously - so cautiously, in fact, that it was sitting in my kitchen cupboard for a few weeks before I dared get it out and another week before I attempted to use it.

When I did use it, one Thursday, it was so easy. Why did it take me so long to try it out?!

I was able to put everything in it in the morning before my scheduled work time began and throughout the course of the day, my domestic goddessness was rewarded with the delicious aroma filling the house.




This Thursday, I am thankful that I can produce an almost effortless home-cooked, nutritious meal while I'm working from home.

What are you thankful for?


Francesca Writes Here


(Housekeeping: to link up your posts, just add the name of your post, your email address and post URL below. Your post URL can't be more than 100 characters for this linky thing to work. Your email address won't be published, but it will help me get in touch with you if the link isn't working


16 comments:

  1. I love my slow cooker! Best thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The MissyMoos aren't as excited about it as I am unfortunately...

      Delete
  2. Love my slow cooker - and use it heaps in winter !!!
    Sorry no post this week - A is home and I am off SM for the week (except for the posts I am reading at work this morning !!!)
    Have the best weekend - I'll be back next week.
    Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  3. My slow cooker works overtime in winter. Soups, stews etc Love how a silverside turns out - so tender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The meat is so tender - love it :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh, boy. Wait until you type in slow cooker recipes on any search site! It's going to be cooking overload. lol. I rely on my slow cooking even in the summer so I don't have to heat up the kitchen. We had BBQ boneless pork ribs in it tonight and a Potato Casserole in it yesterday. I love stew but unfortunately can't get the boys to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, I'm just a beginner, so I'm using supermarket recipe bases at the moment. I'll have to branch out when I get more confident. Your meals sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol the BBQ Ribs were just boneless ribs and BBQ sauce. :D Nothing too complicated. The potato casserole was more ingredients but after trying it in the stove last month, cooking potatoes in the crockpot is overall better. They all get done at the same time and you don't have to check them but once. Instead of rotating the pan or worrying about exact sizes of all cuts. I don't know why I bother sometimes, though. The kids won't get potatoes, even if I cover them in cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am yet to know the joys of a slow cooker. While I'm home I just slow cook on the stove top or in the oven. When I go back to work eventually, with all the great things I've heard about them, I am sure we will become best friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only problem is that my kids aren't as keen on it as I am...

      Delete
  8. I love my slow cooker too. Next on the list: a pressure cooker. I keep hearing great things about them ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a cute slow cooker! Mine is big, heavy and ugly (my slowcooker, that is)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Francesca, I use my slow cooker at least once a week. My lil people aren't so fond of stews/casseroles, but they do love the lamb roast that goes in the cooker. It's what's on the menu tonight (I can put it in before I leave for work & when Mr Fresh gets back to the house he can check & baste etc.)
    We also love the "Saucy Spice Co" meal mixes, most of them work great in the slow cooker & there are no nasties in the package, just beautiful herbs & spices, waiting for you to add meat, vegetables and liquids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, I'll have to check those out as the MissyMoos haven't been as keen as me on the slow-cooker casseroles.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...