16 July 2013

It Is No Secret - Donna Meehan

Image source

A friend lent me this book. It is signed by the author with a lovely message.

I haven't read an autobiography in a long time, so this book was a change of pace for me. It was also a real eye opener. My only encounters with aboriginal culture are what I learned at school. I really haven't had much exposure to the stories of the stolen generations aside from what I've heard on the news.

Donna was removed from her family in Coonamble NSW at the age of five and placed with foster parents in Newcastle who raised and adopted her. Being suddenly taken from her large and loving family to being an only child in a predominantly white society destroyed her sense of belonging and self worth, all the while being loved by her new family and later, her husband.

Reading Donna's story challenged me emotionally. As a mother - what if my children were taken from me? As a person - how would I feel not fitting in or knowing who I was? As a Christian - her faith seems so deep and true; I could learn so much from her.

Although I mostly read fiction, I love real-life stories. And I love real-life stories with happiness in them. Although Donna's life has contained so much tragedy and loss, she has been loved all her life and she found her family. From there, she was able to heal. Positivity, strength and generosity of spirit shine through in this book and I'm so glad I read it.

Book: Paperback. Borrowed from a friend.
Rating: I have given this 3 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: Amazing true story. So glad I read this.


  

14 comments:

  1. I love autobiographies. It is fascinating to hear about peoples experiences and REAL life. Sounds like you go a lot out of this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read many autobiographies, but I do find them interesting. Thanks for your comment :-)

      Delete
  2. I don tend to read autobiographies, and if I do, I always have a cynical hat on, wondering what is being sugar coated or left out. Tethered are a few cackles though. Glad you found one!

    Hello from #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never considered that actually (maybe I'm naive!) but I don't think there were any of those problems with this book.

      Delete
  3. I quite like autobiographies, haven't read one for a while. This sounds like an interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. It's one I'd probably read again.

      Delete
  4. I love autobiographies - it's what I mainly read.
    We need to hear more story like Donna's. As a nation, we need to be educated and made aware of the Stolen Generation. It was such a sad and tragic time for so many indigenous families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's only when you read/hear people's personal experiences that it hits home.

      Delete
  5. I'm a total non-fiction hog and have written the name of that down, I figure while I'm child rearing if I read non-fiction I can learn about the world from my armchair, thanks for this! Em x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love learning new things from books - it's a great way to learn about things if you have pockets of time (when the kids aren't grabbing at the pages)

      Delete
  6. I can imagine it would be a fairly confronting read, but I'd like to hear her story. I'll add it to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was confronting but also uplifting in parts. Hope you enjoy it :-)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a really interesting read Francesca. I'd like to read more of these stories to learn more about the history of Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a proud chapter of Australia's history, Rita :-(

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...