25 July 2013

Thankful For Bloglessness

Francesca Writes Here
 
Strange title huh? A blog post about being thankful for bloglessness - what's that about?

If you're a regular reader of my blog, you may have noticed that I have been very quiet this week. As a matter of fact, this is my first blog post in a week ... since the last Thankful Thursday link up.
 
I go through phases during which I am super enthusiastic about blogging. I write heaps of posts, join linkies, read heaps of posts on other blogs and turn into a social media junky. This is, quite frankly, unsustainable. I was spending too much time on my blog and it began to feel like a chore. I was over-committed. I didn't want blogging to turn into something stressful. I need to enjoy it - that's the reason I blog. (Goodness knows it doesn't pay the bills!)
 
So during the past week, I took some time out. Not just from blogging, but also from reading blog posts, Twitter and Facebook. I didn't completely cut myself off or anything, but I markedly reduced the time I spent on the computer and phone.
 
I want to say sorry for not reading and commenting on my favourite bloggers' posts, but I can't. I can't because I'm not actually sorry - I'm thankful. I'm thankful because now I've recharged my blogger batteries.
 
I am thankful for having time to stop and smell the roses.
 

 
I'm thankful for more quality time with Hubby and the MissyMoos. I'm thankful for more time to read books and watch TV shows.
 
I'm thankful for time drink in the detail and for time to think "big picture" thoughts, instead of just getting by from day to day.
 

 
I will continue to blog. I will continue to write. But finding balance is a constant struggle - it requires constant attention and can never be taken for granted. The house of cards can be built up high, but it is delicate and can easily fall.
 
 
I am thankful that I have so many choices and so many parts which make up who I am. I am thankful that I have such a loving family and so many wonderful friends who make my life so enjoyable. I am thankful for this time out which has enabled me to make sure blogging remains what I intend it to be - a fun hobby.
 
 
 





20 comments:

  1. Gosh I know how you feel. I had a forced break due to losing my laptop during school holidays so it meant that being out and about it was either my phone to keep up or nothing and I chose nothing. I'm now finding it hard to get back to full steam ahead after my forced break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choice - using the phone can be so frustrating!

      Delete
  2. Good on you for recognising this and doing it. I bet it feels great and that you have a clear head. I have been meaning to write a plan and allocate specific days where I work and blog and and stick to it. Unfortunately of late, every bit of spare time I have is working or blogging. It is so hard for me to escape Social Media because I manage social media for my clients as part of my business, there are so many times I wish I could switch off so my plan that I hope to come up with will help me to balance work & family time a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be hard when it's your work too. It's easier for me to separate them because they are such distinct things. Specific days sounds like a good idea - I'd love to hear how it goes for you ☺

      Delete
  3. I can so relate to this. Sometimes you just have to switch your mind off and watch some mindless TV or find something relaxing to do. Cheers, Mez x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mez. I hope you're enjoying your down-time now xx

      Delete
  4. Stepping back and taking time out is so important, I have to remind myself that blogging and twittering are on the 'want to' list, not on the 'need to' list. Just like teaching my kids about the difference between a want and a need, at times I need the same lesson. Keep striving for the balance xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I agree. Sometimes when we teach our kids, we're re-teaching ourselves!

      Delete
  5. I totally get you - that is exactly how I have felt over the past two weeks - it's been good to have a blogging / social media break - I'll be back but I just need to keep the balance right while A is home.
    Have the best day and thank you for your honesty !!
    Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we're both being quiet at the same time. Hope you're enjoying your time with A ☺

      Delete
  6. I think we all go through stages like this! There's nothing like a break to clear the cobwebs from your head and bring you back to the keyboard and computer, fresh.

    I love how you admitted that the "hyper" blogger stage is just that - a stage - and not sustainable. Wisdom for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all need to do this every now and then. I try not to think of balance as it is unattainable, instead I have fallen into a rhythm of doing what I can. If that means blogging once a week, so be it. If I am inspired and have the time then three times a week. But it is always nice to step back into real life and be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way of thinking, Jodi - there's a lot to be said for going along with how you feel ☺

      Delete
  8. I just went through a phase like this Francesca so I totally understand the feeling. I'm just getting back into blogging this week. But, I'm blogging a bit differently now: writing when I feel to and not because I have to. When you are ready and when you feel like sharing about this subject, I'd love to have news from publishing your book journey too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll be more that way too from now on.

      Thanks for your interest, Rita, I really appreciate it. I'm in limbo at the moment with publishing, just waiting around for a response. In the meantime I am doing another edit of the manuscript with fresher eyes now that I haven't looked at it in a while. When I have something more to say, I'll be blogging about it for sure!

      Delete
  9. I so know what you're talking about! I have the same problem all the time, so I am trying to limit my blog time (and that includes reading, facebook, twitter, everything) to one hour per day - it's haaaarrd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure is. I'm missing it a bit ... and not ... at the same time. But that's life...

      Delete
  10. We all need to do this every now and then. I havent read much for the past few days too, just cause I have had so much stuff going on. The way I see it Blogging and blog reading is fun and should be enjoyed, it shouldn't feel like a chore that is taking you away from your family. Glad to hear you are feeling recharged. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you're right. Sometimes there are so many things competing for our attention that something has to give.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...