12 July 2013

The #vvow Twitter Party That Wasn't


All the preparations were in place. The preparatory blog post had been published, and preparatory tweets tweeted. A decision had been made with respect to beverage choice in the battle of vodka vs whatever. Said beverage choice had been purchased. I was ready to party in my pjs (or rather, my onesie - cosy, but lacking alliteration).

There was just one problem: real life had other plans for me last Friday night. I should have guessed that things were amiss when MissyMoo3 (21 months) had a longer-than-usual nap that afternoon. I had an inkling it might mean she would not be settled and sleeping by the 8pm party start time. I did not even consider the possibility that it could signify something deeper, more disturbing...

MissMoos1&2 (6 & 4) went off to bed last Friday night at their usual bedtime without drama, bless them. I poured my vodka and orange juice and let MissyMoo3 stay up watching one of her dvds (Teletubbies, if you must know), as she had slept so late into the afternoon earlier that day. After a couple of #vvow tweets at the computer, it soon became apparent that it was not a workable situation. MissyMoo3 was getting fussy and sooky. She was climbing all over me. I stepped away from the computer and cuddled my "baby". I took her to bed and sat by her bedside, resting my hand on her back as she grizzled and squirmed. I managed a couple of #vvow tweets, but my heart wasn't in it. I wouldn't be able to happily party in my pjs (onesie) until my MissyMoos were all asleep and I had some time to myself. I was sitting there imagining myself half an hour into the future with my drink on my coaster and my #vvow Twitter stream on my computer, when I heard one of the worst possible sounds you can hear from a child's bed:

Gurgling.

Retching.

Vomiting.

Yes, the cowardly Leopold and Felicity had once again visited in the dark. The flick of the light switch revealed my poor, sick child's vulnerable eyes. I immediately felt an outpouring of love for the little person who was suffering in front of me, revulsion at the sight and smell of her bedsheets, guilt at my selfishness for having just wanted her to go to sleep so I could go on a Twitter party, and fatigue at the realisation of the long night we both had ahead of us.

Team Francesca and Hubby (told you he was awesome) kicked into gear as we each did our bit to care and clean. I was able to check my phone occasionally for #vvow updates between clean-ups and cuddles over the course of the night, but instead of #vvow, my mind was preoccupied by vom.

I will spare you any more detail except to say that an eight-hour night of no sleep and continuing parenting duties of a sick one (plus two well ones!) over the weekend triggered a trough in my health from which I have only just fully recovered.

Let's just say that I feel that last Friday night's events have put me in my place and put Twitter in its. The MissyMoos come first. No question. Yes, it was extremely disappointing to be a part of an "event" which I helped create. But it's much more important for me to look after the people I helped create. It's not always going to be a choice between one or the other, but last Friday night, it was. And that's okay.

(If you want to read about this #vvow from someone who actually participated, check out this post.)

18 comments:

  1. These things happen, and I'm just glad that your girl (and you!) are better now. No vomiting at our place, but I did have to fight the cat from trying to drink my wine the whole time! I'm hoping to be there for the next #vvow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm hoping to be there too :-)

      Delete
  2. I love that you chose to look after the people that you helped create over an event that you helped create - I would have been really disappointed if you had made any other choice !! We missed you but completely undestood your absence. The great thing is that there will be more #vvow's to join in in in your onesie - the most important thing(s) in all our lives is(are) our children.
    I'm glad that the bug has finally taken leave of your household and hope that you have a great weekend - all well and healthy !
    Love, hugs and positive energy !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are all feeling better Francesca...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eldest managed to do a similar thing last time his dad was away for work ie my only chance to sit and blog at night! He managed a trifecta first in the car about 10 houses from home, showered in pjs then all over the lounge, showered more pjs then all over me and him and the newly cleaned lounge! He was fine after the third time! Hope your little one is well and truely over it now, there is always next time for the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuk, yuk, yuk! Poor you (and him)!

      Delete
  5. The voms are the worst kind of sickness. Sad that you missed out on your event but as you say, the family will always come first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so sorry to hear about Missy Moo! And yes, it would suck to miss out, especially as you're the brain child behind the party but I agree, your little ones first and foremost. And you know, we can always have another one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Grace, there's always time for more!

      Delete
  7. Poor bubs! there is nothing worse than seeing them so poorly. It seems to highen our motherly instincts. I hope you're all feeling much better this weekend xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naww the poor little possum :(

    It's funny how easy it is to walk away from something we've been looking forward to for ages for our kids when they need to come first.

    Hope the household stays bug free for you for awhile!

    MC x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it just the pits! I can't believe it hit our house again! Hugs, and I hope it's gone for good, at both yours and mine x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...