01 August 2013

Letting My Hair Down

Francesca Writes Here
 
Saturday started out much like any other day, only smoother. Grocery shopping was drama-free. MissyMoo1 (6) had a bye in netball, which meant a little less rushing around. MissyMoo2 (4) had a great time at a friend's birthday party, which was walking distance from our house and I had a lovely catch-up with a friend there too. My ladies team won netball that afternoon. With the day-time happenings alone, it would have been a great day.
 
But there was icing on Saturday's cake: a night out with my netball team!
 
What started out as an idea to have a drink after the game ended up turning into everyone going home, freshening up and making a night of it.  I rushed home, showered, prepared and ate dinner with my lovely family and before I knew it, I was back out the door. My awesome Hubby took care of the night routine with the MissyMoos while I found myself on a girls' night out.
 
Not only was the timing changed from an afternoon chat to a night out, the venue was also changed, to accommodate ...
 
KARAOKE!
 
Now, a looooong time ago, I blogged about karaoke dreaming.
 
Karaoke was not my idea but I happily went along with it. At the time, I thought I hadn't done karaoke since before I was pregnant with MissyMoo1. I now realise that I actually did do a bit at Hubby's work Christmas party last year, but I was sober and amongst my husband's work colleagues so it was a nervous and self-conscious experience rather than a truly enjoyable experience.
 
Saturday night was a truly enjoyable experience.
 
B and I rocked up at the pub together. Others arrived, stories were exchanged, laughs aplenty were had. And then the lights dimmed. The karaoke person called my name (well, a shortened version of it because I didn't think she'd be able to pronounce my name properly so I didn't bother writing the whole thing out on the slip of paper). I grabbed the microphone and faced the screen nervously, realising that being one of the first cabs off the rank was a tall order, as the crowd hadn't been warmed up yet. Thankfully, there's no "I" in team, so my team mates all got up and danced to the song, putting a smile on my face and in my voice, and allowing me to look away from the screen to a sea of friendly faces.
 
It had been so long since I let my hair down and had fun like that without having to think about my responsibilities, with the freeing effect on my spirit which singing gives me, and has always given me.
 
So, this week I am thankful for last Saturday - for friends, fitness and fun.
 
A friend of mind recently put this picture up on Facebook and I thought it would be a great thing to put up in a Thankful Thursday post. It comes from an article called "How Gratitude Can Help You Through Hard Times" by Robert Emmons.
 

Image Source
 
So, be thankful and add years to your life!
 






16 comments:

  1. WOW - what a great way to spend a Saturday ! I must admit I'm not a big fan of karaoke but I know people who just love it.
    Thanks for sharing such a happy and upbeat post (not that your posts are not normally happy and upbeat but I can almost feel how happy you are in this one !)
    Have the best day !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes it was lots of fun!

      Thanks for linking up ☺

      Delete
  2. That venue will never be the same again! So glad you girls had such fun, you all works so hard at being good mothers, wives and contributors to society, that you deserve a break from routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the venue didn't know what hit it with our table!

      Delete
  3. Here's to letting you hair down. I love karaoke!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a terrific night out Francesca. So, what did you sing?? I haven't been anywhere near a karaoke machine for years - which is a good thing for anyone within singing distance, in my case. It's great that you had a chance to let your hair down. All too rare with work and family to negotiate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sang "Dancing Queen", "The Shoop Shoop Song" and a couple of others - can't remember off the top of my head (no, I didn't drink THAT much!)

      Yes, a very rare occurrence, Lara, but that just makes it all the more special ☺

      Delete
  5. I love karaoke! Sound like a great night! Oh, and I love your new header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita, it really was. Thanks, I like the new look too - I'll try to stick with this a little longer!

      Delete
  6. I wish our netball team was social! It's just play and go home! Maybe at the end of the season. I'm only brave enough to karaoke when I've had a drink - otherwise I just cringe at how bad I am - :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the first time we've done it. Whispers are it won't be the last...

      Delete
  7. What an awesome night out! It does always feel a little strange when you first go out if it's been awhile, but then you remember how good it feels to be 'you' again. Glad you had a good time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      And it also felt good to be home (and not hungover) the next morning :-)

      Delete
  8. What great fun! I'm a big fan of karaoke! Glad to hear you got some time to have some fun! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...