12 August 2013

What to do with a bumper yield of lemons


Even more so than last year, this year our lovely lemon tree just keeps on giving.



I almost wish we'd planted an orange tree - then we could have eaten them (I'm not a fan of eating lemons).

So what do you do with so many lemons? I've given bags away to people who do eat them, or who cook with them.

I've cooked with them - I made a lemon and poppyseed cake, but we ate it before I thought to take a photo (bad blogger!).

I tried my hand at lemonade, and after lamenting my lack of photography with the abovementioned cake, I went a little overboard photographing the lemonade making process:

Juicing

Caster sugar, lemon juice and water

Bubble bubble, toil and trouble

The finished product
Despite all my photographing efforts, it actually didn't taste that good. Two children out of three grimaced at the first sip. The other child and I enjoyed the first few sips, but it was just too sweet after that. It was super sweet, even though I put in less sugar than the recipe said - so I won't be adding the recipe here.

Now I'm getting myself into the habit of squeezing the juice of half a lemon into a big glass of water in the morning and drinking that before I have my veggie juice or my morning coffee. That way I'm hydrating and cleansing my body first thing in the morning. Unfortunately the MissyMoos are yet to be convinced to give it a go.

Another bonus of having such a fruitful fruit tree is that it has added an extra element to the MissyMoos' outdoor play time. Now when they play cafés with flower petals, grass and dirt, they can add lemon juice to make their (pretend) culinary creations a little more interesting. They just pick a lemon from the tree, drive a stick into it to break through the skin and then squeeze out the juice.

Lemons after their encounters with sticks

One of the MissyMoos' "kitchen benches" in their "café".


Who needs expensive outdoor toys when you have lemons, chalk, flower petals and a bit of imagination?

14 comments:

  1. We have an orange tree and the oranges are all about 3+ metres up. Oh well, the possums love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great toys! We have a lemon tree! I love mixing lemon in my icing for when I make cupcakes. I made a blueberry and lemon bread last year - it's on the blog somewhere! It was tasty! Shame about the lemonade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's a good idea for your icing. I'll have to go through your blog for recipes next time I'm in the mood to bake :)

      Delete
  3. My kids made 'soup' with dropped fruit too, not lemons though. I wish I had a lemon tree. Maybe you could have an honesty box and try sell them at school or somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just been giving them away. I gave another bag away to a colleague at work yesterday. I could have a stall at a market!

      Delete
  4. I wish it wasn't a work day or I might come and visit your lovely cafe! I fancy making a lemon meringue pie. How about you supply the lemons, I'll supply the eggs and we can eat it together...?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have so many lemon too Francesca... Do limoncello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Rita. My cousin gave me the recipe years ago. I'll have to look for it...

      Delete
  6. Oh wow, so many lemons! I think I'd make lemon spread,yum!

    Thanks for linking up for Mummy Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great idea, thanks Eva :)

      Delete
  7. Anche io volevo suggerirti di fare il limoncello, sarà sicuramente un apprezzatissimo regalo di Natale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, mi piace al limoncello....

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...