06 September 2013

Scribble Edit

Last week, I mentioned that I had completed a "scribble edit" of my manuscript (yes, that's super-professional author-speak, I know).

What is a scribble edit? Oh, I thought you'd never ask! Here, let me tell you a story:


Once upon a time there was an over-enthusiastic, slightly crazy woman who wrote a fiction novel. She was not what you would call a "professional" writer. It took a while, as it had to be done in scraps of time she could wrangle between being a wife, mother of three little ones, and a part-time corporate person. Writing also had to compete with her propensity to blog and do the ironing at night. But write it she did, and when the first draft was complete, she shouted it from the rooftops.

After feedback from her bookclub, an edit, submitting the manuscript to a publisher and then another edit, this interesting character was getting a little tired of limbo and wanted to hold a physical book in her hot little hands. She wanted to see what it could look like and have it sitting on her bookshelf. So she got a copy of it printed (and bound for good measure). I won't go into detail about the name of the printer who stuffed up her order not once, but twice, putting a huge dampener on the experience of seeing her work in (amateur) print for the very first time. What I will tell you is that the extra, wrong-sized copy served its purpose in the end in allowing her to perform what she affectionately calls a "scribble edit".

It is amazing how different reading something on a screen can be to reading something on paper whilst holding a red pen in your hand. Not only that, but also the convenience of editing on the go! Our time poor friend was now able to scribble and jot down tweaks in bed at night, during her lunch break at work, or when sitting in the school carpark in the afternoon waiting to pick up her eldest child.


Now, I am happy to say that my scribbling is done. I am an hour or two away from finishing to convert those scribbles to changes to the Word document. After that, I think I'll send it to another publisher. If nothing comes of that, I will self-publish. There's still a long road ahead, but in the words of Bobby Brown: "Every little step I take, you will be there." Thanks for taking an interest, blog readers and for sharing in this long, slow and arduous journey with me!

As a reward for your patience and your continuing interest, I will now reveal the title to you:


 Stay tuned!

33 comments:

  1. Good for you - I'm not sure who you've tried but on twitter there are a number of publishers that announce their submissions opening. Have you tried Salt pubhishing? (I know nothing about them, but if you like them on twitter, a whole other universe of publishers I'd never heard of will be suggested.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lydia. I have one in mind which I found through Twitter. I've just finished reading one of their books to see if mine would be a good fit and I think it would.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, I am so glad to hear how far you are and how close it is to being finished !!!! I can't wait for it to be finished so we can all share your excitement with you.
    Have the best Friday and take care !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on getting to this stage whilst juggling so many other things. The title certainly leads me to want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne. I'm glad the title has that effect :)

      Delete
  4. Good luck good luck good luck! That's all I can say. You are almost there. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm just a little excited :)

      Delete
  5. Oooh exciting! Wishing you all the best with it, can't wait to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Francesca. Good luck with the publishing journey ahead and congratulations for finishing your manuscript - what an effort considering everything else on your plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty. It has been a slow process, but I'm okay with that :)

      Delete
  7. What a great achievement! All the best for the next phase :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Well done, Francesca! It's all about perseverance and believing in yourself! Can't wait to see what's ahead! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So exciting!! Congratulations on getting this far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, slowly but surely :)

      Delete
  10. How exciting hun. I love the idea of the scribble edit. I mush prefer something I can write on, lists etc are so much better when I can cross through them with a pen than deleting them from an electronic device. Congrats lovely... very exciting times xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonia. Oh yes, I LOVE crossing things out on a list with real pen too :)

      Delete
  11. Oh! Yeah Francesca and all the best! I'm so excited for you. Yes, it's a long road for publishing but you have done so much, you'll get there! Love the title, it's intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You will return! I couldn't live without a scribble edit of my more substantial writing work. Blogging has probably made me a bit more comfortable with editing on screen, but for anything I would publish elsewhere a scribble edit would be done. You really do see different things I reckon. It's a bit like reading your work out loud - once again, shines a very different light on what you've written. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lara! You're right, it was like reading it out loud :)

      Delete
  13. Love the title. Sounds intriguing. Look forward to hearing more. Congratulations on getting to this point.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! I understand the difference in editing on paper to the screen. A scribble edit! Good stuff! Best of luck with it & I hope you see it in print (properly) soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Alana. I hope so too!

      Delete
  15. So exciting! You must feel so close you can almost taste it. I love a good scribble edit. You definitely pick up things you don't see on screen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, how very exciting! I love the satisfaction of editing on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow ... well done ... must be exciting to be so close.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good for you. I hope you're successful this time in getting published. Must have been so exciting getting your hardcopy book, reading it and scribble editing. You would almost see it in a different light too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...