08 October 2013

20 Years Ago - An Unforgettable Adventure

20 years ago, I went on a trip that I will never forget. It was an adventure that made a deep impression on the 12-year-old Francesca. It was a holiday to the other side of the world, but in a way, it felt a bit like home.

20 anni fa ho fatto un viaggio che non dimenticherò mai. Era un'avventura che ha fatto una traccia profonda sulla Francesca chi aveva12 anni. Era una vacanze all'altra parte del mondo, ma in un certo senso, sembrava familiare.


To start with, we went to my mother's home town in Sicily. We got to know family we had only seen in photos. We laughed with them, celebrated an important saint's day (guess - yes, St Francis of Assisi) and a birthday.

Al comincio, siamo andati al paese in Sicilia dov'è nata mia madre. Abbiamo conosciuto i parenti chi abbiamo visto solo in foto. Abbiamo riso con loro, abbiamo celebrato insieme un onomastico (indovinate quale - sì, San Francesco d'Assisi) e un compleanno.


I walked on the streets my mother played on as a child / Ho camminato sulle strade dove mia madre ha giocato quand'era bambina.


I saw the landscape of her youth. / Ho visto il paesaggio della sua giovinezza.


I saw the country's rich history before my eyes at the same time that my school friends were seeing only photos in text books.

Ho visto la storia ricca del Paese davanti ai miei occhi al stesso tempo che le mie amiche a scuola vedevano solo le foto nei libri di testo.


20 years ago. / 20 anni fa.



Linking up with Essentially Jess for IBOT (yay, first time in ages!!)

15 comments:

  1. Wow. I bet it feels like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post Francesca. The past and present 'you', speaking to each other maybe? It's wonderful that your family have retained such connection to their history and that you continue to make use of both languages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lara. All I can really say is that it's part of me :)

      Delete
  3. What an amazing experience for you and how lovely you felt that strong connection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it really was something special - I'm still living in the past!

      Delete
  4. What absolutely beautiful photographs. I share your love for Italy and all things Italian. I met my partner in Sicily and lived there off and on for two years. Sicily is such a magical place. His town is in the province of Siracusa. Your photos brought back some really strong memories for me. Che bella esperienza per te visitare il paese di tua mamma a quell'età!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum's hometown is in the province of Siracusa too :-)

      Delete
    2. I thought it might have been from the photos! My partner's from a tiny town about an hour's drive from Siracusa called Ferla, it's known as "la Porta di Pantalica'.

      Delete
  5. Oh Francesca! I didn't know you were from Sicily! My hubby is from Sicily (well his father is and his mother is from Montemuro) I LOVE Sicily! We went three years ago! What a beautiful, surprising, interesting, amazing place! We went to Catania but I hope we will return some day and visit more of Sicily. My father in law is from Randazzo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing! My mum is from a town near Siracusa and I've been to Catania a couple of times too :)

      Delete
  6. What an amazing experience to have as a young child. I love how it has stayed with you all these years

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say it must be very amazing having such a rich cultural background, as a New Zealander, we aren't as rich in history but I do know my ancestors are from Denmark - that is where I'll have to dig to find out more of my family's life - Em x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure your Mum would have loved showing you around her home town, what a great experience for you both! I would love to visit my Dads hometown in Scotland, but it isn't happening anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet you appreciate the experience now even more as you look back with grown up eyes. Lovely to see these photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...