29 October 2013

My Debut Novel Publishing Update

It's been a while since my last post about my book, so I just wanted to keep you all up to speed on what has been happening.

The short answer is "nothing". If you want to stick with the short story skip below to the paragraph headed "Next Steps". If you want to read a bit about what's been happening behind the scenes, please continue to the next paragraph :-)

So, here's something I was not permitted to reveal to you but may now put out there, as I didn't win. I entered the Vogel Award. The Vogel is a competition held annually by Allen & Unwin publishers and The Australian newspaper for an unpublished manuscript by an author aged under 35. I didn't actually ever believe that I would win, but I decided to throw my hat in the ring, as the manuscript was ready by the submission deadline. The only problem was that I couldn't do anything further about it until I got my rejection letter - which, in the end, wasn't a problem, as it gave me time to step away from the manuscript and then "return" (you'll get this if you read my last post about my book) with fresh eyes to do another edit.

When I got my rejection letter from Allen & Unwin, I submitted the manuscript to a small publisher who also did not give me a publishing contract. But that's ok. I got one of the nicest rejection emails I could have imagined from them. They really made me believe that as a small publisher there's only a certain amount of books they can publish each year and that they really did wish me all the best with future pitches. I choose to turn a blind eye to the possibility that this is just what they say to all the "unpublished".

I'm actually okay about all this. And I'm looking forward to ...

NEXT STEPS (this is where you skippers rejoin the blog post)

I think I will self publish. I have already (I think) chosen who to go through, but with everything happening with our house at the moment, I have decided to take my time. I'll put it on the backburner for now while we move and get settled. I'm thinking I might take on self-publishing in the new year. I have lots of ideas about covers and websites, but for now, I'll let them swirl around in my mind rather than settle and weigh down on my already burdened shoulders.

Stay tuned!

Today I'm linking up with Jess for #ibot :)

14 comments:

  1. Good on you! It's such a mammoth step to finish a manuscript let alone trust in it enough to submit it to publishers. Have you tried an agent? I think that's the avenue I'll take when I'm ready. I don't know if I would self publish, for me, there's something special in the old school model. Good luck with it all and please keep us informed on the next part of the journey. I'd love to read your book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi. No, I've decided not to go through an agent. I don't want any further delays or pitching. I just want to have it done! Thanks so much for your lovely comments - I'll definitely keep you posted :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi, I just popped over from IBOT. Just want to wish you all the best with self publishing. I have a book (non-fiction) due to be launched next month. It has been an ENORMOUS learning curve, and if I were going to do it again, I would give myself waaay more lead time. I thought it was the writing that took longest. Ha! But, well worth it, I think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Kirsten. That sounds amazing. Yes, I'm sure it's going to be a big learning curve for me too. Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  3. Not a skipper - and glad you got some nice feedback from the smaller publisher but even more excited that you are going to self publish, I think that's fantastic! And good idea to wait until you get all your stuff done that you need to - I'm along for the ride and I can't wait to see what happens next :) Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em, your lovely comments mean a lot. Thanks for your moral support!

      Delete
  4. Self-publishing is an exciting adventure! I know Jess has done it, and I have also self-published two books. So if you do decide to head down that route, you know that's at least two people that can answer any curly questions you may have!

    Visiting from #TeamIBOT xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet! It makes it less daunting "knowing" people who have already gone down that path :-)

      Delete
  5. Go Francesa!
    It really is an exciting, although nerve wracking time, but I'm sure you will do fine! And if you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask. Like Janet said, we are more than happy to help xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess, I appreciate it :-)

      Delete
  6. Well done Francesca on entering the Vogel competition. Just putting your writing out there for people to judge is already a great step in my opinion.
    Also, good luck with the self-publishing journey. I think this is absolutely great! Take your time and do it the way you think is right. Keep us posted. I'd like to know everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita. I'll definitely keep you up-to-date with what's going on :-)

      Delete
  7. How super exciting and what a wonderful idea. Good on you for making your dream come alive. Fairy wishes and butterfly kisses lovely can't wait to read your novel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...