14 February 2014

Returning: Chapter 1

With publication of Returning not far away, I thought I'd give you all a little teaser to say thanks for your interest over this drawn-out process.



So, without further ado, here is Chapter 1 of my debut novel, Returning, for your reading pleasure.

She lay in bed sleeping peacefully, in a slumber so deep that dreams could not touch it. A light summer breeze came in through the open window beside her and tickled her ears, but she did not stir. Her body lay relaxed and still on the bed; her only movement the rhythmic rise and fall of her chest as she breathed tranquilly. With her right cheek resting on her hands, she depicted angelic serenity, like a model for a Renaissance statue.

The breeze continued to enter through the opening in her bedroom window.  It brushed past her face, caressing her left cheek. The bed sheets began to ripple and as they did, a slight consciousness began to rouse in her, as if the cool draught had opened her mind to dreaming. She became aware of air skimming along her bare skin. She began to feel lighter. She felt herself rise and suspend in mid-air, with nothing below or above her except for the breeze’s embrace. The heaviness of sleep transcended to the weightlessness of dreaming as she began to float, blissfully losing herself in nothingness. Her gliding self turned one way and then another; the air rocking her gently, tenderly, like a mother to a newborn child.

The rocking and turning strengthened to swaying and swinging. Though her eyes must have been closed, she began to see flickers of light dancing under her eyelids. She began to lurch and spin violently. Gusts of wind whistled, flinging her at will until all movement was beyond her control. The spinning quickened. She became disoriented. Not knowing up from down or left from right, she felt a nauseating churning and breathlessness within her.

Her heartbeat quickened. Despite her disorientation she knew she was falling. 

Quickly. 

Then nothing.

The floating stopped. The dancing lights took their bow, then disappeared behind a curtain of darkness.

17 comments:

  1. Now I really can't wait to read your book !!!! Thank you for sharing a snippet of it with us.
    have a wonderful weekend !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It won't be long now before you'll be able to get your hands on the rest of it!

      Delete
  2. I love snippets of books from authors. Cant wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I am so intrigued! Can't wait for more Francesca!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita. I'm glad you enjoyed what you've read so far :-)

      Delete
  4. Ooh, I love this little taster! I can't wait to read it Francesca. It's so great that you've made it this far with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lara, I'm so happy you're looking forward to reading it. Nearly there!

      Delete
  5. Oh, you've got me hooked, Francesca! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, glad you like it so far!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing - how exciting, I can't wait to get more snippets! I bet the cover looks great x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! Oh, yes, the cover looks amazing. You will see it soon!

      Delete
  7. have definitely got me wondering???!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! It as if I was dreaming it myself. Well done Francesca, I look forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia, glad you like it!

      Delete
  9. Intriguing! Can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...