15 March 2014

Forever House: Colour Selections

A couple of weeks ago, I experienced a rite of passage in any home-builder's life: colour selections.

Prior to the appointment, Hubby and I had been for a look around the showroom, viewing the endless array of possibilities, from colours to materials to fittings. It was all rather overwhelming. We walked away from that meeting with a lever arch folder and a promise (or was it a threat?) that a time for the selections appointment would soon be arranged and was estimated to take around five hours.

No, you didn't mis-read that.

5 HOURS

In an attempt to pre-empt many of the decisions, Hubby and I did our research with colour combinations, going through the folder and noting our preferences, looking at samples and driving around looking at a lot of new houses in the area to decide what worked (and what didn't).

We thought we had it all figured out. Two days before the selections appointment, after weeks of deliberation, we went to look at the brick supplier's "showroom" to see the bricks built as a wall, you know, to confirm our decision.

Except that it didn't confirm our decision. For various reasons, we changed our minds about the brick colour. Not so bad except that this then translated to changing the entire exterior colour scheme because the colours for window frames etc didn't really go with the new brick we had chosen.

Sigh.

Unsure of ourselves at having made such major change-of-mind decisions so close to selections day, after having sat with a previous choice for many weeks, we took our bewildered selves off to our next engagement - lunch with friends.

This was the best thing we could have done. Our friends live in a house they recently built, which incidentally had a colour scheme very similar to our new choices. We were able compare samples, chat about selections and generally soak up the colours and surroundings. It was a perfect way to make us feel comfortable about the task ahead. I'm not a "vision" person. If I see a vacant block of land, I can't picture a new house on it - I just see a vacant block of land. Similarly, I can't look at a display home and superimpose different colours on it according to our selections. So seeing the colours working together there before me in my friends' home was exactly what I needed, to get as close to envisaging our own home as possible.

When we got home, I wrote everything down in the hope of reducing the five hour scheduled time down to something less-frightening. Thankfully, the appointment was set for a non-work day for me and no juggling or rescheduling of appointments was necessary. I've written about sacrifice before, and we did have to sacrifice the little MissyMoos' swimming lessons that day. But with the appointment venue being half an hour's drive away, my main concern was to have it all done and dusted within school hours, so I could be back in time to pick MissyMoo1 (7) up from school.

My friend and fellow blogger, Gina, looked after MissyMoo2 (4) and MissyMoo3 (2) for me for the day. I felt a bit bad asking, but the enthusiasm with which she accepted my request put me at ease. In fact, I was under strict instructions NOT to rush things and NOT to come back early. Bless her.

You'll be happy to know that it did not take 5 hours. With very few decisions to make on the spot, I breezed through it.


In a small way, I'm starting to be able to picture the house now. Step by step, we're getting closer.

12 comments:

  1. Choosing colours can take a lot of time and just when you think you've got it sorted, you see something else you like which throws everything else out aaaargh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the kind of thing that makes my three year renovation procrastination understandable. I just don't think I can face it (although I love your final choices!!). x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bron. Yes, I completely understand the procrastination. We did that for ages before finally deciding to sell and build.

      Delete
  3. Love the colour of the driveway - wish we had made ours darker, it can be hard to visualise how things will look, but it is a fun process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes this is the part of the process I've found to be the most fun :-)

      Delete
  4. Colours look great. It's been over 10 years since I went through the colour selection process, luckily it seemed like a breeze, but I was shocked by the amount of stuff that needed to be chosen a colour for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The wall paint was the killer for me. I didn't have the energy to blog about that part. How many shades of "off white" are there?!

      Delete
  5. My SIL is going through choosing colors at the moment. I hear it's very hard. I can imagine it's difficult to picture how it will look like at the end but I like your choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just wish there was less choice. I think that would be easier.

      Delete
  6. How exciting though hun! And for the record - I LOVE your colour choices xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonia - coming from you, that means a lot. I just love the pics on your blog of your home and your wall art :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...