27 March 2014

My Writing Process - Blog Hop

Last week I was tagged by a lovely writer and blogger, Jodi, in a blog hop. This blog hop is all about writers' writing processes. Me being me and life being life, I missed my window of blogging opportunity prior to my intended post publishing day (Monday this week), so here I am, better late than never.

I can't thank Jodi enough for tagging me in a blog hop about writing, particularly now as all things writing are consuming most of my free time.

To put the "better" into "better late than never", I have decided to combine my love of writing with my interest in genealogy, so before answering the writing questions Jodi has asked, I'd like to do an exercise in tracing the ancestral line of this blog hop. This way, you can have a good look at previous writers' responses and see how wonderfully unique we all are.

This is where the line stops as, although I could find Maggie's website, I wasn't able to find her blog post on this to look further up the chain.

No worries. Phew, actually - that could have gone on for a while. It was fun though, wasn't it?

Okay, now to the writing process part. There are four questions which I will attempt to answer with all the wit and humour my current state of sleep deprivation will allow.

What am I Working On?

Call me crazy, but I've actually just started working on a sequel to Returning.

(See, I told you to call me crazy. You didn't want to, did you? You wanted to be nice, but now you realise that you seriously should have called me that. It's okay. I understand)

I have a chapter plan written out (something I didn't do for the first book, but which I think I need for the second book) and I have written about 200 words of the first chapter. Not much, I know, but it's a start. And it's not something I thought I would start until at least a few years had passed after finishing Returning. Who knows, it might take a few years to write, but it's a start.

 

How Does my Work Differ from Others in its Genre?

My work is an interesting mix of genres - something I realised when I was trying to classify Returning for publication. It has chick lit elements, young adult reach, spiritual influences and bit of romance. It casts a fairly broad net in that sense. So, I suppose you could say it is different because it does not sit completely in a particular genre.

 

Why Do I Write What I Do?

The idea for Returning just popped into my head one day and I felt I just had to write it. You can read all about that here. I think I write what I do because of things that have happened in my own life. My writing isn't biographical. But it is heavily influenced by my own experiences and interests. If you're a regular ready of my blog, you'll probably notice that in reading my book. I make no apologies for that. Writing is an interest of mine. In writing fiction, I therefore write about things which interest me. I like a bit of escapism. Fiction does that for me.

 

How Does My Writing Process Work?

Haha, umm...

It works, or it's possible, because writing is essentially something which can fit in around everything else. I don't have scheduled writing time like professional writers. I have three young children and a professional part-time job. I run my daughters' weekly playgroup. I taxi the MissyMoos to activities. I have an unhealthy obsession with ironing. All of these things take time. Leading by example to the MissyMoos, once I've done my jobs, I can play. Once I've done my tasks, I allow myself to write. That means that I could go weeks without writing. That means it takes years to write a novel. That's fine.

My writing process is always in a state of flux and attempted improvement. Depending on my mood and location, sometimes I will write in a notebook. Sometimes I feel more inspired typing. Sometimes I just type out what's written in the notebook and improve it as I go. Not overly efficient, I know, but it works for me.

With Returning, I let the inspiration take hold and just wrote. It was exhilarating and freeing ... until I got stuck for a while, not knowing the direction I wanted the story to take. I have approached its sequel in a different way - doing a chapter plan first prior to commencing the writing. I think this is only possible because I already know the characters so well. I am also open to the structure changing along the way as I write the story. We'll see what happens.

 

Hopping Along



For next week's blog hop, I am tagging Rita from The Crafty Expat

Rita Azar is a writer, blogger and crafter.  She's a French Canadian woman with a Lebanese background now living in Melbourne.  She speaks French and Arabic and is now learning Italian. She's a Canadian lawyer who also completed a Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism at RMIT University.  But now that she has reconnected with her love for writing, she is working on editing her first novel and thinks that this is certainly one of the most challenging things she has ever done. 
Rita blogs at http://thecraftyexpat.com. You can also follow her here:

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in Francesca. It's great reading what other writers are up to and how they think. I find it intriguing! I have my copy of Returning sitting right here next to me. I'm half way through another book so once I finish that, I'm on to yours! Can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jodi. It was a great topic for a blog post and I'm glad you tagged me. I can't wait for you to read Returning. I hope you enjoy it :-)

      Delete
  2. I so enjoyed this interview and I had no idea that you wrote a book. How fabulous and I'm going to get myself a copy to read on out upcoming camping trip this Easter!! (I also have an unhealthy obsession with the ironing and have to get all my jobs out the way first before I write) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn! I hope you enjoy it :-)
      (And I hope it doesn't rain while you're camping)

      Delete
  3. What a cute hop! I'd have nothing much to say, but I love reading about others! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for tagging me Francesca! I love reading about the writing process of other writers. Totally agree about the ironing! I would like to know how did you feel about editing your novel? I wrote mine in one stretch but I find the editing so difficult to do. Also, have you taught about doing a book launch? If you do, please let us know as I would love to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita. I edited mine as I went, a bit, but I think next time I'll leave editing until after I've written a fair chunk of it.

      I will be doing a book launch, but it will be close to home, so it might be a bit far for you to travel. I'll know more details of date, time etc in about a week.

      Delete
  5. A sequel? YOU ROCK! I am in awe of your passion and commitment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily. I love it! I just hope it doesn't take me 4 years this time around :-)

      Delete
  6. OMG you are a writing machine - a sequel, go you good thing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonia. I hope I can manage it!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...