11 April 2014

Aleph - Paulo Coelho

Aleph
Image source

I had never read a Paulo Coelho book before and I decided that 2014 was the year to address this deficiency in my reading list. I had wanted to read The Alchemist as, for some reason, I had heard of this book and recalled it being spoken of in quite a positive light. Alas, my local library did not have it in stock, so I went with Aleph.

From the outset, I felt like the book was falling short of my expectations. To be honest, it probably says more about my expectations than about the book. However, I got the feeling that I often get when I read books which have been translated into English - that there is a little something missing, a little something lost in that translation, that it is a stripped down form of the book, relieved of the richness of language it may have had in the author's original words. Or not. I'll never know. Unless I learn Portuguese.

I generally liked it. But I didn't get it. I understood the concepts. I enjoyed the spiritual ideas. But I just didn't believe in the pull the main characters had to one another. I had nothing invested in their interaction or relationship. My guess (and hope) is that translation is the reason for this. I may need to read another Paulo Coelho book to find out. Or maybe I should learn Portuguese (!)

Book:  Paperback. Borrowed from my local library.
Rating: I have given this 3 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: A good book with interesting ideas, but not quite as profound as I had hoped or expected.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! A serious book and a proper discussion on it. You should join our book club. It might rub off on the rest of us....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must read The Alchemist Francesca! I understand what you mean about translation. If it's not well done it can be a total turn off for the book. I read Aleph and enjoyed it but that's maybe because I'm already under the charm of Paulo Coelho (I have read most of his books).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...