04 April 2014

Mouse Trap

Does anyone remember the game, Mousetrap? My sister and I used to play it as kids. I remember it would take ages to set it up but then it would be so cool to set off and watch the chain of events that brought the trap down. Catching a mouse was fun!
 
Yeah, well it's all fun and games until the game comes true!
 
A few weeks back, in The Rented House, which is a lovely new place, a place to which we were not permitted to bring The Fat Cat, Hubby heard a noise ... a scurrying noise.
 
A few minutes later, with the aid of a broom, his wife, an empty ice cream container and a piece of cardboard: Hubby = 1, Rodent = 0. I say the mouse had a score of zero, but really, it was probably the winner, as I walked 50 metres down to the reserve near our house in my nighty to set it free.
 
It was disgusting and really cute all at once
I bought traps the next day.
 
There were more. One was caught in the trap under the kitchen sink.
 
I laid the traps out again. There were more.
 
 
The little bastards creatures were learning - they were licking the peanut butter off the traps and scurrying away.
 
This called for drastic measures. I turned to Google ... and essential oils.
 
Once we were fairly sure there were no longer mice living in the house, we placed cotton buds drenched in peppermint oil in the garage (that's where they had been coming in from). Apparently they can't stand the smell because it is so strong and it drives them away. You're welcome.
 
 
 
We haven't seen (or heard) any mice since. I hope it stays that way.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

13 comments:

  1. Rather you than me. I have to say I am dreading whatever the first 'foreigner' is going to be in the house now that we are on acreage ! We have lots of frogs and cane toads but they stay outside (so far) and generally are only seen at night. My solution to this is - don't go outside after dark !!! So far I've been lucky enough to get this right.
    Have the best weekend !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope they stay outside!

      Delete
  2. Ew! I haven't heard about the peppermint oil, great tip - just hope I don't ever need to use it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is great and novel way to keep them away! I always make hubby by humane-ish traps. I don't fear mice, in fact I think they're kind of cute! Cockroaches and BIG spiders, you couldn't pay me enough to touch one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours were humane too - not like the ones in the picture. The one we caught alive was cute, but I soon got over their cuteness when we caught 3 more in traps - I just wanted them gone!

      Delete
  4. I will have to remember peppermint oil! We had them a while back and I ended up leaving rat sack around the place and they didn't come back, but peppermint oil is a better approach I think. Oh and I remember mouse trap...it was my favourite game as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we thought about rat sack, but we were a little scared of our kids getting into it. The peppermint oil was really strong - it smelt lovely!

      Delete
  5. Oh I need to hear this, we have a little mouse who wants to be friends with us but the traps aren't working! Will be giving this a try x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooo, little mouse, go and be friends with other mice folk ... outside!! Hope it leaves you alone soon :-)

      Delete
  6. I would be out of the house too in my nightie!!! Peppermint oil - good tip. Thank goodness for google - life saver - literally!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uuhh.... I hate mice. Peppermint oil! Really! Thank God for Google!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...